Chapter 14

"I am bored." Abigail whispered suddenly when no one was around.

Currently, they were sitting outside in a swing, facing the peaceful forest. The house was almost empty as Jake had gone to the city while Yvonne stayed in to cook lunch, ordering everyone out who wanted to help her.

Victoria was on a conference call in her bedroom, while Vera was outside in the garden tending to the flowerbeds. The only one who didn't do anything was Abigail and Dion, as Valeria was sending emails next to her with a concerned scowl on her face.

But hearing the girl, she locked her phone and sat up. "What would you like to do?" she leaned forward resting her elbow on her knees. "I don't know...something useful? I feel like I am only sitting on my butt while everyone works around me..." Abigail muttered not meeting the woman's eyes. Her cramps had finally calmed down an hour ago.

She needed to do something, getting her mind off her period and butterflies, flapping in her tummy, whenever Valeria was around.

Valeria looked thoughtful for a moment, then offered a shy smile towards the girl sitting next to her. "Give me a moment." She stood up and walked in the house, leaving Abigail alone.

She continued swaying herself back and forth not taking her eyes off the direction Valeria disappeared. The smile she got from the cold woman warmed her up, relaxing her tense muscles. She liked when Valeria was soft. It made her more approachable, more human-like.

Leaning back with a sight she watched the green of the forest towering over her like a giant.

'Am I in love?' she asked herself. Her body's reaction gave her the answer right away, just as Valeria came back holding a basket with a checkered blanket. "Ready?" she offered a hand to the girl.

"Where are we going?" asked Abigail, accepting the manicured hand. The woman only squeezed her, letting go after helping the girl up. "You said you wanted to do something...I hope you like walking."

Valeria turned around not waiting for the girl's reaction and walked down the stairs leading to the forest. "Coming?" she yelled not looking back.

Abigail needed to jog to catch up with the woman, whose steps were long and confident compared to her short and awkward ones.

"Do you need help with that?" Abigail gestured towards the heavy basket the woman was holding with ease.

"Yes, here." Valeria pushed the light blanket in the girl's waiting arms, making the girl giggle. "I meant the basket Valeria..."

"It's not that heavy." Came the simple answer as they stepped in the forest. A dirty path was seen leading the way between the bushes and trees.

"This way." Valeria led them in another direction. "But the path-" Abigail stood concerned, not willing to follow the woman. "Are you coming?" came the faint answer as Valeria couldn't see the girl behind her anymore.

"Are you sure this is safe?"

"Just come already!" Valeria yelled back, annoyed by the girl's lack of trust.

Abigail only huffed, following the mysterious woman.

But she couldn't hold her remarks back for long. "I swear Valeria, if you intend to kill me and sell my organs, do it already before I break my ank-Auch!" she couldn't finish as the woman swirled around with fiery eyes, making the girl step back in fright only to have her feet slipping off a bigger stone. "Can you just-" Valeria started, but Abigail was falling backwards with a loud squeal.

Suddenly, a strong hand caught her waist, stopping her fall midway. "You should be more careful..." their closeness took Abigail's breath away. The woman's eyes were shinning like two aqua colored gems in the sun, as she stared in the girl's frightened ones.