Chapter 16

"Abigail?" the familiar voice made her look up with her puffy eyes, taking in Valeria's hurrying from. She looked like a queen with her long white coat flapping after her with every step, showing off her elegant white blouse and light brown trousers, matching with her sand brown heels.

Strangely, she carried a huge plastic bag with a concerned face, making the illusion shatter.

Seeing that the woman came, made Abigail cry even more.

The sound of heels stopped in front of her, and someone placed a hand on her knees, making her peek out between her fingers, only to see Valeria squatting in front of her.

"What happened?" Valeria asked gently, scanning the girl for any injuries.

"They are operating my mom." the girl sniffed. "She was in pain for a week, and I couldn't see it..." She is a horrible daughter for not caring about her mother.

"Tell me the whole story." And Abigail did, starting with how her father and brother died in a car accident, leaving only her mother alive.

~*~

"Here, I brought you some chicken soup." the woman rattled with the plastic bag while holding the girl in her arms. It was a rather comfortable position for Abigail as her head was laying on the woman's chest with warm arms hugging her waist.

The chairs were horrible, but Valeria didn't care. She just wanted to cheer up the girl, and if holding her was helping, then why not?

It took her by surprise when Abigail threw herself in her arms, hugging her body tightly. For Valeria, who only touched women when she wanted sex, this was a bit strange, but in a good kind of strange. Inhaling the familiar shampoo the girl got from her, she smiled a bit.

Abigail as an answer, only dug herself deeper in the woman's embrace, not wanting to let go.

"Come on. You need to eat. I also brought some spaghetti and cookies." Now, the cookie word caught the young girl's attention. Lifting her head, she looked at the plastic containers with red eyes.

Reaching out for the cookies, Valeria smacked her hand away. "No, first soup." she scolded Abigail, like she would a kid. "And besides I think you had enough chocolate already..." Valeria motioned toward the papers the girl left on the table next to them.

"You are right." Abigail sighed, making the woman look at her in shock. "Did you just agree with me?" this made the girl smile faintly. "Yes, but I won't make a habit of it." she grabbed the soup container and Valeria handled her a spoon. "It should be still warm."

"Why did you bring me this?" the girl took a spoonful, slurping a bit as it was still hot.

"As I had already told you in the phone, I went to visit you, and since you wouldn't tell me what your problem was, I decided to bring you food."

"So, you just wanted to see me." Abigail said in conclusion. The woman only rolled her eyes in answer.

"Thank you." the girl nudged the woman with her shoulder. "You're welcome." Valeria glanced at her watch. "It's already 9pm, shouldn't they already finish up?"

"I have no idea, they won't tell me anything." the girl kept on eating, while Valeria stood up. "I am going to ask someone. Stay here." but as she turned around Stephanie Reed appeared, walking towards them with a few papers.

Seeing the blonde woman standing, Miss Read stopped in her tracks. "Valeria?"

"Oh, Stephanie, is that you? What a surprise!" they met in the middle giving each other a friendly handshake and a few pats on the shoulder.