Chapter 2: Venturing Topside

(Y/N) peered into the barrel of the gun, turning the gears to make sure that it functioned properly. Nothing sucked more than a faulty weapon. The brass was smooth under her fingertips, and she aimed for a target on the rickety wall, miming the pull of the trigger. Besides her, Sasha was tinkering with her metal crossbow, lovingly cleaning off the smudges.

"(Y/N)," Connie's distinct whine filled up the small room. "Why don't I get a cool weapon like a gun? I don't want this stupid dagger."

(Y/N) shook her head, amused. "A dagger is an excellent weapon, Connie. You just need to learn how to wield it correctly."

"Besides, it's not like you'll ever be in a position where you need to use it," Jean looked up from where he was packing a knapsack bag with supplies. "We've got (Y/N). Nothing bad will happen to us when she's here."

(Y/N) grinned. "Aw shucks, Jean. I didn't know you felt that way about me."

"Shut up," Jean mumbled, the tips of his ears turning red. "I just meant that after Levi, you're the strongest fighter in the underground."

"You're damn right," (Y/N) slipped the gun into the holster that sat on her hips, hidden by the baggy red hoodie she was wearing. Her fingers and hands were wrapped with white bandages, ready to be used in a fistfight. A quick glance around the room showed her that everyone else was ready. It was time to go topside.

The door to the little shack where all five of them resided opened, and Levi walked in. The chilly air entered with him, causing (Y/N) to shiver. He nodded in approval when he saw the weapons. "You remember the target address?"

"In the upper east side of Shiganshina City. 73 Crossover Road. Next to the huge water fountain shaped like a mermaid," (Y/N) recited.

Levi nodded once more. He crossed his arms, leaning against the wall. He didn't go on these little raids. He used to, years ago. But now he had his crew, people he trusted more than anyone else. The raids were necessary for survival. The money from the jewelry and fancy tech bought rations and other necessities for not just his crew, but other people in the underground as well. Every month, a group of people snuck into the topside and stole whatever they could get their hands on. When they returned, they sold it at the pawnshop and split the money evenly between groups of people. So far, there was a syndicate of five groups that alternated with sneaking up top. Without comraderies, living in the underground was impossible.

"Be careful," he warned.

"When am I not?" (Y/N) stood, pulling the knapsack over her shoulder. Sasha followed her lead, hiding her crossbow underneath her woolen cloak. Connie, still scowling, walked over as well.

"Lead them well," Levi placed a hand on her shoulder. "And come back home by nine, okay? The hole in the gate—"

"I know, dad," (Y/N) joked. "This isn't my first rodeo. We'll be back soon enough, with enough loot to last us for months."

Levi let go of her shoulder and opened the door to the shack, ushering the four of them outside. (Y/N) took the lead, as she often did, and walked through the familiar alleyways. The sky was still dark, a blur of orange in the horizon as the sun took its time rising. This early in the morning, the underground was quiet and still. The only life they witnessed was the scuttering of the occasional rat. Nights were far livelier—another reason why they did this in the morning. Not everyone knew about the hole in the gate.

A half-hour later, (Y/N) found herself standing at the edge of the big golden gate that prevented people from the underground from venturing topside. She glared at the arch. Topsiders preached equality and inclusion, yet they never acted upon it. People from the underground were only allowed up top if they had a rational reason. What was the point of this stupid gate? Were they worried that the poverty that plagued the underground would spread above?