Chapter 7: The Royal Scientist

Everyone in the room froze. Hange's eyes widened behind the lens of their glasses, and they took a step back, blinking rapidly as if they were hallucinating. One of their hands reached towards a switch on the wall, and before they could push it, (Y/N) sprang into action.

She darted across the room, gripping one of Hange's arms and yanking them forward, away from the switch. (Y/N) nodded to Mikasa and the girl hurried over to grab Hange so that they couldn't escape. Hange squirmed and resisted, but Mikasa's iron grip caused them to remain in place.

"What—who—what are you doing in my lab?" Hange sputtered. "Who are you all?"

They seemed jarred and for good reason. Never before had intruders broken into Hange's lab. Levi walked towards the door, stationing right in front of it to alert the rest of the team if a guard walked by. (Y/N) felt a surge of excitement. It had worked. Her plan had worked. It might not have gone accordingly, but Hange was present in the lab, trapped.

"Who are you?" Hange asked again, their arms straining in Mikasa's grasp. "Do you want money? Or a cure to some sort of illness? I don't have those here. Those are in the royal infirmary."

"Hange Zoe?" (Y/N) slide her blade out of her sheath, staring at Hange expectantly. She angled the blade towards them, trying to appear threatening.

"Who's asking?" Hange raised a brow.

"We already know you're Hange, the royal scientist. Comply with us, answer our questions, and we won't hurt you," (Y/N) reassured. "While it might seem like it, we're not bad people."

Hange snorted. "Not bad people? You've broken into my lab and are holding me at knife point! You're not exactly good people either."

"Look," (Y/N) exhaled, walking closer to where Hange was standing. She peered at their face, taking in their startled expression, the way their hair escaped their messy ponytail. She was being honest when she said she didn't want to hurt them. "We're from the undercity. People are dying and we want to stop it."

Hange remained silent, their lips pursed.

"I know the topsiders don't give a damn about anything that happens in the undercity, but that doesn't change the fact that people have been killed because of what you all are doing," (Y/N) seethed. She felt the familiar spark of anger and regret.

Hange's eyes widened, and they stilled. "What do you mean? How are we killing people from the undercity?"

"Don't act coy with me. You know all about this, don't you?" (Y/N) raised an eyebrow, inching the blade closer to the soft skin of Hange's throat. She leaned in, inches away from Hange's face. "What is Shimmer? Who is behind it?"

Hange once again remained silent, their jaw clenching shut.

"Don't make this harder than it has to be. Tell us, and we'll leave. You can go back to living your glorified fairy tale of working for the king," (Y/N) scowled.

"Why would I tell you anything?" Hange mimicked (Y/N)'s expression. "You waltz into my lab, mess everything up, restrain me, and expect me to comply while you threaten me?"

(Y/N) huffed and sheathed her dagger. She held up her hands mockingly. "See? No weapon. Do you feel more comfortable now?"

Hange rolled their eyes. "No."

"I suggest you hurry," Levi called. "The guards will probably come soon. Or maybe one of Hange's assistants. Get the information you need now and use whatever technique you have to."

(Y/N) hesitated, staring down at her blade. She had told Levi that she would coerce Hange into speaking, even torturing them if necessary. But that didn't feel right at the moment. Hange stared at her expectantly, waiting for her to make a move.