Chapter 17: Aftermath

"What?" (Y/N) breathed. "What do you mean to kill Augustus and Leo?"

"They died, (Y/N)," Hange walked into the house, shooting a confused glance at Levi and Mikasa. But they didn't ask questions, instead sinking into a nearby lounge chair. "Augustus and Leo are dead. Today, their shift was stationed outside of my lab. The explosion killed them and a guard that was inside, assisting me. That guard...he pushed me out the way in time otherwise it was supposed to be me who died."

"Oh," (Y/N) was speechless. Augustus was dead? The man who had killed Sasha and Connie was dead? She felt a wave of confusion. They were dead.

"What makes you say that someone had a motive?" Levi spoke up, eyes narrowing. He was much quicker to react.

"Because why would I plant an explosive in my lab? I know that place like the back of my hand. No matter what anyone else claims, there was nothing I put there that would cause an explosion," Hange said firmly. "Someone planted it in my lab."

"But...why?" (Y/N) asked, befuddled. "Who would sneak in past security, have access to your lab, and plant the explosive?"

Hange sighed and slid off their glasses. They rubbed their temples, appearing exhausted. "I...I talked to the King in the morning before this happened."

Levi's expression soured. "You're saying King Erwin did this?"

Hange clenched their jaw and closed their eyes. "I don't want to say that. I want to believe King Erwin wouldn't do such a thing. But Erwin knows about guard placement. Erwin has unrestricted access to my lab. And...I told Erwin that someone was willing to capture Augustus and Leo to question them about shimmer."

"You told the King that?" (Y/N) exclaimed. "I thought you were just going to ask about Jean and Augustus's schedule—"

"I'm sorry," Hange sounded extremely apologetic. "I know you wanted to question Augustus and kill him yourself. He was important to your mission, and I screwed it all up. I thought I could trust Erwin."

(Y/N) walked over to sit down on the edge of the chair Hange was sitting on. She hesitantly placed a hand on their shoulder, not wanting to hurt them due to the cast. "It's okay, Hange. It's fine. I'm a little disappointed that we couldn't question him, but I'm relieved that you were able to survive the explosion."

Hange looked up at her, their eyes searching her face. Their expression was one of disbelief, as if they were surprised she was saying those words. This entire time, Hange had thought (Y/N) desperately wanted to question Augustus, to get to the bottom of the shimmer operation. She had been driven by revenge and resentment. Yet here she was, refusing to get angry at Hange for messing things up. If it hadn't been for them talking to King Erwin, perhaps she would have gotten what she was seeking. But the look in her eyes was almost tender, the weight of her fingers on their shoulder light. She truly didn't hate them.

"You're not mad at me?" Hange asked, looking up at her. Their entire life, Hange had been used for one thing or another. Most people used them for their intelligence. There was a new disease that needed a remedy? Leave it up to the royal scientist! New weapons were needed for the guards? Ask the royal scientist—they're brilliant! Need intel about the king? No one is closer to the king than the royal scientist!

"No," (Y/N) said softly. "We can figure something else out. There is always Jean."

Hange felt a surge of warm emotion. Here they were, struggling to stay upright due to the intense pain from their injuries, yet they felt energetic. Alive. (Y/N) might have kidnapped them to use them in the beginning, but they were sure she wasn't using them now.

"Oh, I invited Levi and Mikasa over," (Y/N) motioned towards her friends. "I hope you don't mind...I was worried and wanted to rush into the palace to see if you were alright. They forced me here."