Chapter 14: Meeting Again

Once again, (Y/N) found herself in the left flank, waiting as her shift passed by. She wasn't really sure what she was supposed to do, besides just stand there. Her body ached from standing so rigidly and she yearned for the freedom to move around as she pleased. At least thoughts of Hange kept her busy during her shift. She kept remembering the way their arm had held waist, the way they had smiled, eyes shining brightly, as the two consumed the cherry pastries. She had known Hange for a month. A mere month, yet she felt as if she had known them longer than that. It really was strange, the point where strangers turned into friends.

"Your shift has ended," the main guard stated as he walked by. "Go to your dorm."

(Y/N) held back her sigh of relief and saluted. She marched down the empty corridors, this time, admiring the paintings and sculptures she passed by. She hadn't seen Hange all of today and wondered if marching into their lab unannounced would be a bad idea. It probably was. Instead, she remembered how Hange had said that some of the guards like to spend time in the lounge room after their shifts.

(Y/N) would head there. Hopefully, she'd have some luck.

It took a while of searching, peeking through corridors, and opening the wrong doors, before she stumbled upon the lounge. The place where the guards when to unwind after a long day of protecting the king. The heavy scent of cigar smoke hung in the air, along with the faint musky scent of cologne.

In the middle of the room, there were three pool tables, a foosball table, and a ping pong table. Towards the back of the room, there was a small bar tended by one of the guards. Scattered throughout the large room were lounge chairs, ranging in size and colors. There were people of all ages in the room, animatedly talking, laughing, and playing rounds of poker. (Y/N) lingered in the doorway for a minute before she wandered in.

The room was less like a lounge and more like a club. It was that big. (Y/N) pushed past people, deciding to go sit on one of the red chairs that she had spotted. Someone offered her a drink that she politely declined. She sat down on the chair, letting her gaze travel from person to person. As expected, not a single one of them was the guard that she was expecting.

"Looking for someone?"

(Y/N) turned to see a female guard sitting back in the chair next to hers. The woman was tall and lean with unruly curly hair, one hand clutching a glass of some sort of alcoholic beverage.

"No," (Y/N) said politely.

"You seem to be scoping the room. Any reason for that?" The guard raised an eyebrow, clearly suspicious about the way (Y/N) was behaving.

(Y/N) gritted her teeth. "Fine, yes. I am looking for someone."

"Who?" The guard pressed.

(Y/N) let out a little huff, getting annoyed that the guard wouldn't just leave her alone. Whatever happened to personal space and privacy? "Is it really of any matter to you?"

"I haven't seen you around here before. And I'm here every day," the woman's voice had a musical lilt to it, yet it still appeared threatening. "It would be best if you tell me your name and position before I get anyone else involved."

(Y/N) paused. So far, people were able to accept the fact that she was Guard Chance because no one had seen Chance up close. No one knew Chance that well to distinguish between their and (Y/N)'s appearance. But this woman...this woman seemed like she'd know Chance well enough to call out (Y/N)'s lie.

Luckily, (Y/N) was saved by the noise of someone yelling followed by a loud crash. Everyone turned to look in that direction. Two guards were at each other's neck, knives drawn to each other's throat. She recognized one of them as the man that Jean had been dealing with yesterday. (Y/N)'s eyes widened. What on earth was happening?