Chapter 22: What Could Have Been

Even though only a few hours had passed by, (Y/N) felt as if she had been held captive for days. Her wrists were sore, her throat dry. She thought about Levi. Where was he? He should have come in when she didn't show up after a few hours. Was he okay? The betrayal she felt was also pretty strong but there was nothing she could do about it.

"I brought you some food!" Hange entered the small, dark room, carrying a bowl of what seemed to be soup. "It's vegetable soup. From a can. It's all I had right now, sorry."

(Y/N) remembered when she had held Hange captive. That seemed so long ago. Everything had gone full circle now. The kidnapper had become the victim.

"Hange, can you please let me go?" (Y/N) exhaled deeply. She knew that her requests were in vain. There was no way Hange would let her go now that she knew their identity.

"(Y/N), you know I can't," Hange said softly. They held out a spoonful of the soup to her, encouraging that she take a bite. (Y/N) complied. She didn't want to, but she couldn't starve. She still had to end this.

"Let's just work it out—"

"No." Hange said firmly. Their posture had gone rigid. "I will carry out this plan and you can't convince me otherwise. The sooner you realize this, the better."

(Y/N) hung her head, feeling a mix of exhaustion and exasperation. Her only hope now was Levi. But where was he? She wanted to ask Hange but that would risk them going out to find Levi. What if Hange had captured him? No, (Y/N) had to remain optimistic even when she didn't have any hope left.

"Please, (Y/N). I need you," Hange said quietly. "We can do so much together. We can free the undercity once and for all. I...I haven't felt this close to someone since Moblit."

"But you lied Hange. This could have gone so much more differently if you had just told me the truth since the beginning."

"Would it really have? You would have killed me without a second thought. At least this way, you've gotten to know me," Hange sat back on their heels, looking up at her. "Tell me, (Y/N), am I really a bad person? I just want to help people."

"But you hurt many. And that doesn't justify your end cause," (Y/N) remembered Sasha and Connie. She hoped Jean was still alive, she still needed to figure out what Hange had done to him. "How many people have you killed, Hange? 5? 10? Indirect murder is still murder."

"I'm saving lives," Hange refuted. "You just need to open your eyes. You just need to believe me. Join me and you'll be there until the end."

(Y/N) shook her head, not saying anything else. The look in Hange's eyes told her that they truly believed that they were helping. It was pointless trying to convince them. Perhaps she should focus on waiting for Levi to come. But that would be a gamble. She didn't know if Levi was still here. He would have already come inside if she hadn't shown up in an hour or so. Or maybe...

"You're right," (Y/N) cleared her throat. Maybe agreeing with Hange would allow them to untie her...and she could come up with the rest of the plan from there. She just needed to be freed right now.

"I am?" Hange was startled by her sudden change in mind.

"Yeah. The topside has been screwing us over for far too long. Of course, I'm still upset about my family's deaths so I can't be completely on board with this plan..." (Y/N) trailed off, not wanting to seem eager or as if she completely had a change of mind. Hange would grow suspicious then. She had to appear casual.

"Of course, of course," Hange nodded eagerly. "I hadn't expected that you'd be on board immediately. Resistance is completely normal! I just wished you'd see what I'm seeing. That's all I want, (Y/N)."