Chapter 20: Another Loss

"The mines are about to collapse?" (Y/N) echoed, feeling fear. Someone knew they were here. Someone must have seen them come in. This was all a trap. She knew it was too good to be true. But who would do that? Would Jean want her dead?

"Come on," Hange urgently grabbed her wrist and tugged her down the tunnels, pulling her close when rocks fell from above. The ground was shaking violently, and (Y/N) struggled to keep upright. Her knees would give way with every loud rumble. It felt as if the world was crumbling around them.

"Ouch," (Y/N) winced as a particularly large chunk collided with her shoulder. That would leave a mark. If she survived.

"We're almost there," Hange panted hauling themselves and (Y/N) over the boulders. They were right. In the distance, (Y/N) could spot the brightness of the sky through the opening. Which was crumbling. If the opening crumbled, the two of them would be trapped inside the mines and die.

(Y/N) pushed through the pain she felt and struggled to the opening. They were so close. She could reach out her fingers and stick them into the fresh air of the mines. But the universe hated her. It had deemed her its enemy.

The ground shook again, this time much stronger than the other times. (Y/N) stumbled onto the ground, her palms scratching against the floor. She landed on her ankle, letting out a gasp when she heard it crack.

"Go," (Y/N) urged, unable to stand up again due to the pain. The opening was going to close if Hange didn't move. The rocks were crumbling down too fast. They were blocking the entrance in a few seconds. She didn't want Hange to die with her. "Go on without me, I'll only slow you down."

"I would never leave you behind," Hange didn't even look over to the entrance, which was mere inches away. Instead, they knelt down, grabbed her waist to haul her up and before the entrance was blocked, they shoved her out of the mines. (Y/N) cried as she crashed onto the grassy ground, a sharp jab of pain going up her leg. Seconds later, the sound of a loud crash filled the air.

"Hange!" (Y/N) yelled, looking over her shoulder to see if Hange had made it out with her. She was met with silence and the sight of heap of rocks. Her breath caught in her throat. No. No, Hange must have made it out. "Hange?"

Silence again. (Y/N) staggered to her feet, ignoring the throbbing ache in her ankle. Hange had to be out here somewhere. They were right behind her. They had to have made it out. She hobbled over to the rock pile that blocked the entrance to the mines.

"Hange!" (Y/N) yelled. Silence. Silence louder than anything she'd ever heard before. The truth began to slowly dawn on her, and she shook her head. No. No, no, no. They were okay. They had to be okay. She clawed at the rocks, hearing them clatter to the ground. Hange was just behind those rocks, alive. She'd get them out. It would be fine.

A small voice in her head whispered to her, telling her that her efforts were futile. If they were alive, they'd have called out. If they were alive behind those rocks, they would have responded to your yells. (Y/N) ignored the small voice in her head. She didn't need to listen to it. Instead, she pulled at the rocks, trying to open up the entrance.

The light from the sun caught on something, making it shine bright. (Y/N) paused her clawing, her hands red and raw from. She looked closer, a small cry building up in her throat. The sun had caught on shattered shards of glass stained with blood. The thin frame of Hange's glasses were trapped underneath a rock, the glass scattered around.

There was no way Hange had made it out alive.

--

It had happened again. (Y/N) had lost someone close to her. She could have stopped it. She could have moved faster, she could have stopped Hange from wanting to explore the mines. She could have done something. Anything. She didn't know how, but (Y/N) found herself stumbling down the road that led up to Hange's mansion. She didn't care if anyone saw her. She didn't care if her ankle was killing her. She didn't care about anything.