Chapter 6: Infiltration Plan

"You are not going to go to the topside just to infiltrate the palace," Levi stated firmly, watching as (Y/N) began to haphazardly throw things into a bag. "I didn't send you to Kenny just so you can get these stupid ideas in your brain."

"Look, Kenny said that if anyone can answer my questions, it's this Hange. Apparently, they're the royal scientist and knows everything there is to drugs and inventions or whatever. If they know who is behind this whole Shimmer operation, I'll be one step closer to getting revenge on Sasha and Connie's death and preventing someone from dying again. So, let me go," (Y/N) reasoned.

"It's not as easy as you think it is," Levi exclaimed, growing exasperated. "Did you know that Hange Zoe is the brains behind half of the technological innovation in Shiganshina City? Ever since they started as the royal scientist, they've found cures for diseases we've thought were incurable! They made the hoverboard and other high-tech inventions. You really think you'll be able to march into their lab much less get past the guards in front of the castle? There'll be security everywhere."

"I'll find a way in. I can't just sit here and sulk all day long, Levi!" (Y/N)'s voice cracked. "I see the two of them everywhere. I hear her whispers at night. She was murdered and someone else's daughter can be next."

"Right now, the fire of anger is controlling you," Levi sighed. "It's blurring your rationality."

"Please, Levi. I don't...I don't have any other purpose," (Y/N) closed her eyes. Her heart ached as she told the truth. It was common for the folks of the undercity to have an occasional existential crisis. Why were they here? What purpose did their existence bring? (Y/N) couldn't go to college. She didn't have any career opportunities. The least she could do was stop a wrong from occurring again.

In no way was she some 'hero'. She was just hurt, angry, and desperate for answers.

"Fine," he grumbled. "But I'm not letting you do this alone. I'll come with you. And so will Mikasa."

"Mikasa?" (Y/N) narrowed her eyes. "Why would Mikasa come with us?"

"Because. We're trying to infiltrate the palace, are we not? In order to get to Hange, we have to get to their lab, and the King won't let us waltz in. That means we're going to take out as many guards as possible. You alone could take out quite a few. I could take out some more. Add Mikasa in the mix and we'll have greater odds of survival," Levi explained.

"You have a fair point..." All three of them had a much higher chance of success compared to (Y/N) going alone.

"And have you figured out a way to get Hange to talk?" Levi pressed. "I'm sure they won't want to speak freely to some bottom side dwellers."

"Uh...I'll come up with a plan," (Y/N) winced. So, her plan was a little half-baked. But that was alright. She was good at thinking on her feet.

Levi sighed. "I'll ask Mikasa for her input."

"You don't have to do this, you know? We could die. Get killed by the guards or executed by the king," (Y/N) said quietly. She was prepared to put her life on the line. It wasn't as if it were worth much anyway. But Levi's? Levi had a lot to live for.

"I know. But you're family," Levi stated simply. There was no need for any more words and (Y/N) resisted the urge to hug the man. He was never this sentimental.

"Thank you," she whispered. "I know the loss of...of them affected you too. Thank you for always being there, Levi. I know we'll be able to succeed."

"Of course, we will. We're Ackermans."

--

"You plan on coercing Hange to speak?" Mikasa's voice was quiet as (Y/N) walked her through the plan. There were definitely some flaws, but it was the best she could come up with.