Chapter 16: Explosions

Another week passed and (Y/N) was able to get out of bed and walk around. She had been able to explore the rooms in Hange's house, realizing that just about every room was a chaotic mess. There were things and papers scattered about and the entire house just radiated Hange's energy. She loved it.

"Hey, do you think there is any way for us to contact Jean?" (Y/N) asked from her seat at the wooden dining table. Hange was attempting to make the two of them breakfast.

"Perhaps. Jean Kirstein is his name, right? I could always ask Erwin for help in finding him and getting him to talk to you."

"Could you? I would really like to talk to him," (Y/N) sighed, fiddling with the tablecloth. "I really want to talk to him. To ask him why he's dealing shimmer, why he's on the topside. I have so many questions."

"Sure. I can try today when I head over to the lab," Hange placed a bowl of oatmeal in front of her. "And what about Levi? I thought you wanted to talk to him too."

"Yeah, I have the flare. I'll send it out today and hope that he sees it."

"A flare? That can be incredibly dangerous. Augustus and his men are still searching for you. The other day the King issued out a search warrant in your name," Hange stated.

"I won't get caught," (Y/N) responded, determined. She reached down to feel the tender area where she had gotten stabbed. "I've pretty much healed. I can do this, Hange."

"Just be careful," Hange relented. It warmed (Y/N)'s heart to think that Hange was worried about her safety, that they wanted her to remain alive.

"Sure, cupcake," (Y/N) grinned. "You're surprisingly sweeter than I thought you would be."

Hange shook their head. "I'm going to the lab. Try to stay out of trouble."

--

(Y/N) found herself on a hill near the palace, dressed in one of the cloaks that she had borrowed from Hange. She had sent off the flare ten minutes ago. Everything stood really still. Levi hadn't come. (Y/N) let out a long sigh, staring up into the blue sky. She had hoped he'd be nearby. She better leave before anyone comes to investigate the poof of blue smoke in the sky--

"Are you okay?"

(Y/N) whirled to see Levi climbing the lengths of the hill, looking concerned. Mikasa followed at a distance behind. She let out a sigh of relief. "Levi! Thank god you responded. I was getting worried you wouldn't—"

"Are you okay?" Levi repeated. "We heard of an incident at the palace earlier. Something about a traitor. We hadn't heard from you since and were growing worried."

"Yeah. I got stabbed, but then Hange took me to their house and fixed all my wounds," (Y/N) waved a hand. "I have so many things to tell you, but the most important thing is that I saw Jean. He was dealing shimmer."

"What?" Levi responded, shocked. "You got stabbed? And Jean?"

"And I found the guards who killed Sasha and Connie. Their names are Augustus and Leo. Hange said they'd help me find them and Jean. They were going to talk to King Erwin today and—"

"Hange is going to explain the situation to the King?" Levi asked, his tone dripping with distaste. "And you really think that will go well? What is Hange going to do—walk up to Erwin and tell him how his guards are dealing shimmer? And what if it's the King that was behind this all in the first place?"

"Relax, Levi! Hange is smart. I'm sure they have some sort of plan in mind. And the confrontation isn't going to be that blunt. I...I trust them," (Y/N) said simply. And it was true. Many would call her crazy for that. How could she trust someone from the topside? And the royal scientist at that? But Hange wasn't like all the other topsiders...they listened to her. They took care of her. And never once did they treat her with pity or disgust—even when she had kidnapped them.