Chapter 13: Surprise

The sun streamed in through the windows, and for once, (Y/N) didn't wake up with a backache. She rolled off the bed that was as soft as a cloud and stretched, staring out the window and into the courtyard. There were guards stationed near the base, the ones that had taken over night duty. Night duty. Her eyes widened. Shoot. Wasn't she supposed to report to someone?

Hurriedly, (Y/N) shoved on a uniform and boots and stumbled into the hallway. What was Chance's schedule? Hange had said that most guards reported to the main guard for their daily orders. Who the heck was the main guard?

"Guard Chance!"

(Y/N) stiffened, straightening as she saw a tall, burly man marching towards her. "Yes, sir!"

"You're late this morning," the man barked. "I assume you decided to sleep in because you retrieved the royal scientist from the slums?"

"Yes, sir!" (Y/N) nodded as if she was confident.

"I'll let it slide this time since the King is pleased with your behavior. Head over to the mess hall and get some food before you head over to the left flank," the man ordered before walking away. (Y/N) had assumed that was the main guard. The one in charge.

"Yes, sir!" She called out after him. The mess hall...where was the mess hall?

"Hello, stranger."

(Y/N) tried not to appear too relieved when she saw Hange walking towards her. They had changed, showered, and fixed their appearance. Hange's hair was swept back and appeared softer than it had yesterday. Their glasses weren't dirty and smudged. And they had changed into a clean lab coat. Hange...didn't look too bad.

"Hello, er, royal scientist," (Y/N) winced. There were definitely a few flaws in her plan, consisting mostly of her inability to blend in as a guard. But this wasn't a long-term plan, anyway. All she had to do was spot the men she needed, kidnap them, and then leave. Simple.

Hange laughed, their eyes bright. "Everyone just calls me Hange. Don't be shy now, darling. What happened to calling me cupcake?"

(Y/N)'s eyes widened, yet she kept her rigid composure. There could be guards nearby. "I'm supposed to be going to the mess hall. Do you know where that is?"

"Hmm, the guards' mess hall? I haven't actually been down there before, but I know what wing its in," Hange turned on their heels, motioning for (Y/N) to follow them. "Follow me, dear!"

Hange seemed confident in their element. (Y/N) observed them closely, eyes lingering on the curve of their lips and the brightness in their eyes. Had they told the king anything? Were they planning on betraying her?

"I'll pay you a visit tonight," Hange said, voice low so that they couldn't be heard by anyone else.

(Y/N)'s breath caught in her throat, and she glanced at them. "What do you mean?"

"To ask if you've seen the guard, of course. The mess hall is where most of the guards go for their meals. You should be able to spot the man you're looking for in there. And if you don't, there's always the courtyard, where all the guards are posted. And if that doesn't work either, then the lounge room where guards go after their shift is a best bet," Hange explained.

"Oh," (Y/N) was surprised that Hange still wanted to assist her in finding the people behind it all. "Thanks, Hange."

"Yeah, no problem, anything for my abductor," Hange grinned cheekily. They pointed to a door in the distance. "That's the mess hall. If you ever find yourself in a sticky situation, say that the royal scientist requested to talk to you, and you need to be led to them asap."