CHAPTER 11: Fresh Air

~ Previously ~

You nodded and looked down, playing with the hem of your shirt.

Chucky stared for a bit and then reached over, taking your bowl.

You watched as he poured your flakes onto his with an upset look.

He placed the bowl down and snickered at your expression.

"What? You weren't eating it.", he said with a grin before digging in.

~

"They seemed like a happy couple though. I wonder what happened."

"Well, don't you know? She and Dr. Ross have a thing."

"No way. Stop pulling my leg!"

You hopped up and down a bit in an effort to slip your pants up, careful not to fall over.

Slowly placing your other foot down, you lifted your bookbag off the stall hook and opened the door.

The girls hushed suddenly and gave you a single glance before continuing on with their conversation.

You turned away as well and limped over to the sink.

As you washed your hands, you absentmindedly looked up into the mirror and observed your face.

The once bloody bruise on your forehead had now reduced to a single crescent-shaped scar.

Chucky hadn't stitched that one, nor given you any medication for it, so it was likely that it'd be there for good.

Which was somewhat okay with you.

It was a bit small, fortunately, and wasn't all that bad to look at.

You took your hands out from under the faucet and dried them with a nearby tissue before exiting the restroom.

As soon as you stepped out, the sound of a hundred or so voices flooded your ears all at once.

You looked around at the students that stood in or walked through the hallways with confusion.

Had it been this crowded when you first got into the building?

You shook your head at the matter dismissively and turned around on your heel, bumping into someone's chest.

Bouncing back with shock, you looked up at the man in front of you apologetically.

He just gave you a dirty look and walked away, nudging into your shoulder.

You stumbled back, your cheeks growing red with irritation and embarrassment.

Your first day out in weeks and you already wanted to go back home.

You huffed, pulling your bag straps closer, and headed over to the stairway.

Stopping right at the first step, you eyed the long flight of stairs with dread.