XI

As the day slowly passed, the incognito god stayed near Penny to make sure she wouldn't get harmed. They also checked on the shrine to see if it got infected, which luckily wasn't the case. They sat down outside the temple, hearing the chiming bells and the blowing wind around them. Eli was slowly gaining comfort, which didn't feel right considering that he shouldn't be there. However, it was his girlfriend that we has sitting next to. It was only normal for him to feel safe and happy.

"I think it's about time I ask you." Penny said. "What is even happening? Why did that girl come and try to infect the shrine?"

"I'd rather not say, but I guess I do owe you an explanation." Eli said, still trying to hide his identity. "Her name is Mara. She's the goddess of Darkness, and she wants to break The Balance that exists in this world.

"The Balance? What does that mean?"

"Not even I know what it means, but I think I have an idea of what it could be."

Night arrived as a dark sky covered the entire isle. He simply created a flame with his hand, one which made Penny feel nice and warm. As she sighed in comfort, the incognito god continued to speak.

"There's always been Darkness and Light in this world, right? Maybe The Balance refers to the world having an equal amount of these. If there was too much darkness around here, things wouldn't be nice for the new children that arrive. And if there was too much light... I don't know. They'd be living some sort of lie?"

"I guess that does make sense. Flockya tends to make people stronger, so having contact with the evil parts of this world make them gather the courage to grow."

"Exactly! Seems like we're both on the same track here!"

They continued to speak and share their ideas. They both felt more comfortable which each word that was being said, nearly to the point where Eli forgot he had to hide his identity. He started being a lot more charismatic and lovely, and Penny didn't seem to mind it. They spent a lot of time talking and trying to unravel the truth, to the point where both of them felt a little tired. The cold wind swirled through Penny's hair, while Eli looked at her behind his mask like a work of art.

"This place is just so unpredictable... Will we ever actually learn the truth?" Penny asked.

"I don't think we ever will, Penny. It'll always be out of our reach..." Eli said.

"W- Wait!" Penny said as she got confused. "Did I ever tell you my name? How do you know it?"

"That weird dark lady said it out loud. I got here just as she did."

"Oh, you're talking about that bitch?"

Eli nearly gasped at hearing that. He was really shocked, but he tried to pretend like it wasn't that bad.

"Did you just... Curse?" Eli said.

"Heh! Don't try to act innocent, I heard you call her that as well!" Penny said as she laughed a little. "You know, not even my boyfriend knows this since he's gone for some time now, but I decided to work on myself! I stopped being afraid of showing who I really am, and I chose to give what still remains of my darkness a little more credit. That's why I have these powers now!"

"Interesting!"

"Eli is my hero, Mr. God! He is an amazing guy, and he's inspired me to change and let me become who I am now. I know I will soon grow and become a goddess so I can be by his side..."

Eli was blushing so much he had to turn away. Penny chuckled a little, and Eli tried to calm down before his heart melted from so much flattering. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes, and as he did he felt Penny's arms wrap around him. At first he was confused, and then thinking the situation through made him a little angry.