12- Die for You

The air felt cold such as everything around: the ground, the walls, her body. She could barely feel the warmth of the sand beneath her freezing hands. She breathed in and out, trying to keep her breathing under control. Her black clothes changed for a crimson red, the same red that was painting the metal ground and walls. She sat there, holding onto the remaining strength she had to evaluate her chances of survival. She rose her left hand with difficulty while the other held on tight to her injury. Her left hand snaked in her side pockets on her pants and grabbed a flask. She exhaled as she looked at it. She tore down a piece of tissues from her outfit and placed it in her mouth. Holding the flask, now opened, her breathing increased in anticipation of the pain that was to come once the liquid was to make contact with her open wound. Then, she poured everything all at once.

The door opened and yelling could be heard in the headquarters. Agents nearby were curious about the sudden outburst and they hurried to the voices, identifying Phoenix's. The yellings were moving to the huge meeting room. It was a room filled with screens and computers that they often used to bring all agents to discuss. In here, four people were shouting violently at each other about something.

"Why are we even hesitating?! We heard her! She's still out there!"

"So is the enemy. We can't just head there with no plan and no way to communicate with her," Viper answered to the British calmly.

"And leave a friend to die alone on the field?! Are you out of your mind?!"

Phoenix punched the wall next to him, trying to contain his anger to not jump on the one responsible for this whole situation. The latter had been silent ever since they landed, his expression even more serious than usual. He gritted his teeth as he was still not talking.

"Is that it, Brimstone?!"

The latter frowned, avoiding his eyes. "This situation pleases no one, Phoenix," he finally said. "But we have no idea how it is back there, we can't just head there without any knowledge."

The door of the gathering room opened and some other agents stood there. In the middle of them was a tall brown-haired man with glasses. He was neatly dressed as always, his suit closed enough to his body that it showed his muscular forms. His face was usually serious or playful but on this day, it showed a completely new expression. The always collected man was overcome with panic, fear, and anger. He could not believe what he was hearing or seeing.

"Where is [A/n]?"

The pain finally stopped but her wound was still burning. A few tears were still running down her cheeks, her vision still blurry as she watched the remaining alcohol from the flask run out on the ground, mixing with her blood. Eventually, she was able to think straight, taking control once more of her body. She took off her earpiece to examine it. She opened it and saw that some circuits were burnt. She frowned but one thing did give her hope of some possible communication with the protocol. She could still be heard.

"Brim, what's all this about? Why are there only four of you?" Killjoy asked.

They all looked down, unable to find the right words to say. Killjoy's hands shook, realizing what their silence meant, and bit her bottom lips to calm down. On the other side, Chamber did not try to prevent his words of anger towards the people in front of him.

"How could you leave someone behind like this?" he said, judging their actions.

"Watch your mouth, agent," Brimstone warned him, glaring at him. "We had no other choice. If we stayed, we could have all died."