21 - A Safe Place

"How's your hand, girl?" Phoenix asked, sitting on a stool next to her.

[A/n] hummed, looking at her bandaged hand before focusing on her work again. "It's fine. It'll heal in no time, I think."

Killjoy raised an eyebrow as she leaned back against her desk. "Shouldn't you be resting?"

The camouflage agent was about to open her mouth but Phoenix beat her to it. "'Rest? What's rest?'" he said, imitating her voice.

"I do not talk like that," the woman said with a sigh, rolling her eyes.

"You kinda do. Phoenix's great at imitation," Killjoy added, stifling a laugh.

"Can you two leave me to work in peace?" [A/n] playfully glared at her two close friends but they did not care and stayed with her anyway.

"Girl, I'm not leaving 'cause I feel like you're gonna hurt yourself again. Plus, if your double is really chasing you, I've got more reasons to be by your side," Phoenix said in a serious tone. He was worried about her so he felt better being close to her, and so did Killjoy.

"We didn't spend much time together lately because you were too busy with your rich French man." 

This made [A/n] laugh. It was true that Chamber and she had spent a lot of time together, planning things for Chamber's 'bigger picture' or just hanging out. "I'm sorry, you two. I promise to spend more time with you. Thank you for sticking with me."

"Omen's been lonely without you around at night as well," Phoenix added, ruffling [F/n]'s hair.

"Yeah, I miss my buddy... I'll be around here anyway now so it means more time with all of you!"

Killjoy and Phoenix's smiles were contagious as they brought a grin to her face as well. They threw their arms around her, hugging her tightly. They were such good friends, she thought. It warmed her heart to see how much they liked her.

They continued to talk while [A/n] worked on a new gun design for one of the agents and while Killjoy worked on her personal computer. As for Phoenix, he was making jokes, trying to make them drop work so they would focus on his performance and shenanigans. He did make them laugh and distracted them a bit but they still continued to do their usual work, which annoyed the British.

While they were all having fun, someone new came in to greet them. "Eh bien, it is very lively in there."

A thick French accent spoke over the previous voices, catching everyone's attention. [A/n] turned around and waved at Chamber. "Hello, Frenchie," she greeted him with a smile. She was happy to see his handsome face around. They were not able to see each other on that day as Chamber had a briefing in the morning.

"Bonjour, mon amour. I missed you." He walked closer, going in to kiss her but the other two quickly stepped in.

"[A/n]'s ours today!" Phoenix said as he crossed his arms.

Killjoy stood in the same way as Phoenix, acting as a bodyguard. "Should I remind you that personal relationship in the protocol is-"

"Oh, come on, don't give me that," Chamber cut her off with a laugh. "May I remind you of your relationship with Raze, Killjoy? It's pretty obvious." Killjoy's cheeks turned instantly red. [A/n] and Phoenix's eyes widened as they stared at their friend's flustered expression. It seemed like the German engineer forgot to tell them something. "Phoenix, you're not off the hook either with Jett. I don't think it's official between you two but you're being quite flirty with each other." Phoenix looked away, clearing his throat. Chamber seemed amused by their reaction, passing between the two of them to kiss [A/n]. "How are you feeling, mon ange?"