Two

"Remember," my mother said while grabbing my shoulders and looking deep into my eyes. "Keep your shoulders back, your eyes to yourself, only speak when spoken to."

My nerves were bubbling rapidly in my gut. I woke up early today and stayed in bed. I figured if I remained hidden, I could disappear from this situation. Ayla was standing by my side, she didn't seem as nervous as I did. Sometimes, I wish I had her strength.

Our mother picked out our dresses for today. She gave us something out of her closet so we would look presentable. I was in a purple-blue gown with black stitching, a modest v-cut, and short sleeves. Ayla was in a dress similar to mine but hers was a wine red color. We were standing in the front of the bakery, my mother prepared everything for us, her hand was still wrapped tightly in the same gauze.

The tithe was a charge of twenty-five percent of our profits and twelve percent of our produce. A variety of three dozen of our best-selling pastries sat neatly in boxes on the table beside me. Ayla picked them up, cradling them on her forearms. "When they ask, tell them you're standing in place of your mother and father for Castors Bakery," my mother said, handing me an envelope. "Don't lose this."

I nodded, releasing a steady breath as my sister and I said goodbye to our parents. "You got this," my father shouted from behind the counter. I knew I did, deep down I knew that I was overreacting, but I couldn't keep my nerves settled. The castle was just so intimidating.

My sister and I walked side by side down the street. We passed a few stores, some that I've always wished I could shop in, as we made small talk with each other.

Ayla was only a year younger than me, so we grew up as best friends. She favored my mother heavily while I'd like to believe that I was more of a mix between my parents. My hair was ashy blonde while Ayla's was dark brown. My sister was more outgoing and assertive while maintaining a bit of elegance about her while I was timid and hid from my problems. We couldn't be more opposite.

When we were born, our mother gave us both matching necklaces. They were made with silver and had small pendants that sat in the middle of our chests. I had mine on today as I rarely took it off. It was my favorite piece of jewelry because it reminded me of my mother.

"What do you think the prince looks like?" My sister asked from beside me.

I shrugged, "I dunno. Scary?"

She laughed, readjusting the grip on the boxes. "You think he has horns?"

"Probably," I let out a chuckle.

We walked through the town center, various shops littered the streetway. I turned my head and looked into a shop that commonly sold wood and other materials. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw who I was looking for. A boy, by the name of Elmer. He seemed to see me too as I gave him a small smile.

"Nuray!" He said, walking from his shop and approaching my sister and I.

Elmer and I always flirted with each other, but it never seemed to go anywhere. Occasionally he would pop into the bakery and say hello. My father liked to tease that he would be the boy to ask for my hand in marriage. Elmer was my first kiss, he was kind and gentle, but he was always busy helping his father chop wood and mine materials.

"Hey," I smiled at him. He embraced me in a tight hug. His muscles seemed to grow larger every time I saw him.

Ayla rolled her eyes beside me.

Elmer released me from a hug and leaned over, "Hey Ayla," he said with a wave. Ayla fake smiled back at him, and this time I rolled my eyes. Elmer looked at the boxes in Ayla's arms and then at the envelope I was carrying in my hand. "Oh, are you guys going to pay your tithe?"