Thirty two

TW: gore/ violence/ blood

I heaved as I ran through multiple tree branches.

It was dark. The only way I could tell where I was going was by the small openings of the treetops where beams of moonlight seeped through. I could faintly hear the crunching sound of leaves behind me. It made fear shiver through my spine. But I didn't look back, I couldn't. 

I quickly leaped over a fallen branch, nearly tripping over my own feet. I just wanted to put as much distance as I could between the two of us.

When my thighs started to burn and my lungs felt like they were on fire, I turned, ducking behind a large trunk of a tree. I leaned my head back against the bark, trying to gain my breath. I clutched my chest, the knife still in my hand. 

How did we get to this?

I knew he was trying to test me— but this was a bit too far. I just couldn't figure out why. Why did he have to go as far as trying to kill me? He was completely unhinged. 

Maybe this is what I deserved by not trusting my gut. For getting too invested in him too fast.

I slowly reached my hand up, trailing my hand under the cut on my neck. I pulled my fingers back, examining them in the dim light. It wasn't as bad as I initially thought. Thank the heavens he didn't dig it any deeper. But the fact that he didn't directly cut me with a knife— I did. He had been able to take total control of my body.

Another thing I didn't know he was capable of.

As I slowed my breath I tried the listen to my surroundings. I pressed my lips together, breathing in and out of my nose. I couldn't hear any footsteps or leaves or sticks crunching beneath anyone's feet. All I could hear was the distant sound of water— meaning I was somewhere near the creek. 

Magic was sputtering under my fingertips. It felt the way it does when you spill a bag of rice. It was scattered throughout me, tingling and intermingling with the fear that shattered under my skin. I tried to pull it together, but I couldn't bring myself to focus. My thinking was too erratic. 

I blew out a final breath, swallowing a lump that has rose in my throat. I gathered every bit of courage I had left in me and craned my head around the trunk of the tree.

I scanned the dense area, seeing nothing. Nothing. There wasn't a sound fluttering through the forest. Silence. The type of quietness that made my stomach churn with an unsettling fear.

Maybe I had outrun Harry. Maybe he had lost sight of where I was. I lifted my hand to brush against my tattooed arm, checking to see if I could feel him using it to search for me. 

Nothing. 

The bond was blank and bare. 

I furrowed my brows, not sure if I should feel scared or relieved that he wasn't after me. I turned my head, my hair brushing against the rough bark of the tree. 

But my heart stopped when I came face to face with dark eyes and a wicked smile. 

"Looking for someone?"

A scream flew past my lips, my body jolting backward. 

I stumbled, fear engulfing me. He leaned against the tree, cocking his head to the side as he looked down on me. The way he looked, it was nothing but pure darkness. He flashed his teeth, and I swore shadows bounced off him so elegantly that they formed horns around his head. He did more than command darkness, he was darkness.

He stepped forward and I flinched, scared of what he might do next. 

He laughed, "Do I scare you? Little witch?"