Forty four

"Harry," I gasped, my eyes flicking from the ring to him. 

It was stunning, beautiful even. Considering his prideful nature, I wouldn't expect anything less than perfect. Staring at it brought on waves of doubt and uncertainty. My feelings were still undeclared and I was internally fighting a battle against my own morals. 

"Before you say anything else, there's something I should tell you. I told you I wouldn't force you into anything, that you always have a choice, and I want you to know that I mean that. Always." Harry paused, looking out into the fading horizon. 

My stomach twisted with nerves as I waited for him to speak again.

"You asked me why I wanted to come on this trip, and the answer to that is, I want to see you live. I want to see you enjoy your home, I want to see you happy. I don't want you to have any regrets before you return with me," Harry paused, his eyes still focused on the sunset. "There are reasons as to why we were brought together, reasons that go beyond me searching for a witch or a way to break my curse."

I sucked in a breath, listening to him talk. The wind blew, bringing in pleasant smells of the sea. Hair tapped against my cheeks, feathering around me and giving way to the breeze.

"I haven't told you this, not because it was something I was keeping from you, but because I recently realized it myself," his gaze finally turned to meet mine. "When you were away for two weeks, I felt destroyed. My heart ached and my head wouldn't shut up. I had never felt so incomplete, and it sucks that I only comprehended and acknowledged my feelings after you left. And the thing about me is, I don't feel, Nuray, not like that. The seven sins weren't crafted with a wide range of emotional capability. We are all selfish creatures in our own right."

"At first, I thought my curse had finally gotten to me. I thought constantly feeling crippling pain had finally scrambled my mind. I thought I was going crazy, honestly. But during that time, when you were away, I had plenty of time to think," Harry's thumb ran over the velvet box, "there's a reason we're drawn together. I feel it, and I know you feel it too."

I knew exactly what he was talking about. It felt like a root planted deep within me. He felt like a piece of me, he felt as warm as the sun, he felt like home. Regardless of the literal bond that bound our very souls, I was constantly being pulled to him.

Harry blew out a heavy breath as if bracing himself for his next set of words. 

My magic reached for the thread that linked us, caressing it gently, nudging him to continue.

"There is a prophecy, one that appeared in the underworld a long time ago— far before I was cursed to this realm. It was given by the fates, etched in stone, and delivered to all seven houses. It stated three things, none of which cause alarm to any of the seven sins, so over time, the prophecy became forgotten. Even I had forgotten about it, up until recently."

The ocean crashed harshly against the shore in a roar, as in warning to whatever was about to come. I picked at my nails nervously. I remember when I explored his brain, entering a memory of him sitting upon a throne. There was a man whom I was unfamiliar with, that spoke of a prophecy, and I had forgotten all about it.

"The etching inscribed on the stone said that dark and light magic would be combined to create something new, an era of change would be ushered in thereafter, one that would set a balance to both sides of magic, and..." Harry paused, his hand rolling the black box against his fingers.

"That one of the seven sins would fall in love."

I sucked in a sharp breath as I started to process this information.