Fourteen

Four days had passed. And in the last two, I had watched through my window as people from the tithing had come to pay their dues.

My family's tithing was scheduled at the end of the week, along with the other people from the outskirts. Even though I knew I wouldn't see my family walk through those gates today, I still watched.

And undoubtedly so, Harry had blocked me from even attempting from coming into the throne room while it was taking place. Guards stood at the doorway, blocking my view, unmoving like weighted sandbags.

He had been teaching me more about my magic. I was still having a hard time controlling most of it. It seemed that I couldn't use it without utilizing it in large bursts. Patience, he had told me, magic takes time to learn.

To my surprise, Harry admitted he was learning with me too. For he had never dealt with witch magic before. Magic from the stars, he called it.

I thought that all magic was the same, wielded the same, carried the same. But Harry informed me that it wasn't the case.

My magic is old, something I was created with, I command it and it follows. He had told me a few nights ago in the courtyard.

If he was a commander to his magic then I was a handler, desperately trying to get it to listen to me. My magic felt like wet putty in my hands, seeping through my fingers and forming at its own will.

I continued staring through the glass as I watched the last people walk into the castle.

I had always wondered what the lords and nobles brought to their tithing. If we brought goods and profits, what would they bring if they owned no stores?

A question I had answered between the last two days. They brought jewels, metals, or gold. A resource not many of us lower class had the privilege of having.

Not too long ago I discovered that my windows were no longer locked. I had them open so I could smell the summer's evening breeze. The air was starting to transition into a cool crisp feeling. Not yet autumn, but no longer entirely summer.

I stepped away from the window, walking towards my bed. I lay on my back as I stared at the ceiling in boredom.

I still adored the architecture of this bed. Its gold columns held up the wispy sheer canopy. I lifted my hand, using my magic to push the wind into my room, drawing it from the outside air and making the canopy thrash about.

I smiled to myself, daring my magic to push harder around me, creating a fluttering breeze. I wondered if I would ever be able to pull the scents of fresh bread from the bakery to here.

"Shit," I cursed as my magic suddenly pushed a forceful burst of air in my room, making my evening cup of tea knock over from its place on the table.

I stood, walking over to the table to pick up the cup that luckily didn't break. I sat the now empty cup back on the table, looking around for something to wipe up the spilled liquid.

A surprising knock on my door sent a jolt through me. I gazed at the window, trying to tell the time by the sun. It was beginning to set on the horizon, not yet time for dinner nor was it time to train.

I waited for a moment, expecting Olesia to walk in like she normally does after she knocks. But to my shock— she didn't, and another knock came soundly to my door.

I left the mess in its spot, making a mental note to clean it after I opened the door to whoever was on the other side.

A third knock came just as I opened the door.

My eyes widened as I stared at the tall frame in front of me. His shoulders were wide in his black tunic, his arm muscles tight against the fabric, and his crown shining brightly on his head.

"May I come in?" He asked. His green eyes locked on mine as he waited for a response.

I looked at him, and then back in my room. "Um... I guess so." He hasn't been in my room since the night I fainted in the garden.

I took a step back, holding the door open as he stepped in. It was still odd seeing him in here, like he didn't belong, didn't match the interior. I watched as he took a stride deeper into the room, stopping to sniff the air.

"You were using your magic?" He asked, turning his head to peer at me.

I shrugged, shutting the door and stepping closer to him, "I was bored."

"Better than the scent of dirt and pine you're letting in," he gestured to the open window.

I rolled my eyes. He wasn't even in here for five minutes before he started criticizing my room.

"Are your servents not taking care of you?" Harry quickly eyed the spilled tea on the floor. 

I was beginning to wonder if he came in here to give me a hard time.

"I just spilled that moments ago," I admitted, grabbing a nearby hand towel and throwing it over the liquid to hide it. I watched as the tea seeped into its fabric, staining it a darker brown. I gave Harry a lazy smile and said, "there, all clean."

He raised his brow, turning to face me fully. I watched as he reached into the front of his tunic, pulling out a small box. "I brought you something," he stated, handing me the box. 

I grabbed it in my hands, giving him a bewildered look. He clasped his hands behind his back as he observed me. "Open it."

So I did. I lifted the grey velvet lid and inside revealed a shiny gold necklace. 

"An apology gift," he started. "I felt bad about breaking the old one you had, seeing you were so attached, so I had a new one made for you a few days ago."

I didn't even know what to say. I pulled the necklace from its box, the gold cold on my hands. 

A gold pendant hung on the end, it was absolutely beautiful. The pendant was round, the middle encompassing a star-like liquid. I had never seen anything like it. I tilted it, watching the liquid and its stars swash around inside. 

I raised my brows, looking up at Harry who was watching me carefully. 

"Starlight," he said, referring to the liquid. 

"How?" was all I could muster to say.

"In my realm, there is a river of it. It is said that swimming in it feels like floating with the stars, and drinking from it will make you feel an eternity of happiness. I found a bottle of it here, in the royal vault, it must have been traded from my realm eons ago when I let demon spirits walk the earth."

I looked down at it, it seemed like I had a piece of the universe in my hands. 

Granted, it wasn't my mother's necklace, the one that held a special place in my heart— But this necklace this necklace was beautiful, unique, and truly irreplaceable.

"Here," Harry held his hand out. "Let me put it on you."

I softly handed it to him, watching the gold curl in the palm of his hand. I turned, walking to the mirror so I could watch. He came up behind me as I lifted my hair off my shoulders. I watched as his arms reached over me, draping the necklace against my neck. The necklace was snug around my skin, much like a choker, but not uncomfortably tight. The pendant draped in between my collar bones. From far away its center just looked like a void of blackness.

I had never had anything this beautiful, never imagined having anything of this value. 

I stared at us in the mirror, Harry's brows knitting together as he focused on the clamp. The way he tilted his head showed that bright piece of blonde hair sticking out from the others. He finally clasped it together, smiling slightly and looking up to see it on me. 

I turned, facing him. Without a word I wrapped my arms around his waist, giving him a tight hug. I felt as he stiffened, taken off guard by my action. This is the first time I had ever truly touched him and I had never noticed how warm he was, how hard his chest is. His hands slowly lowered, giving me a soft pat on my back. 

Something in my magic stirred as I said, "thank you," and released him.