Thirty six

My eyes widened as I slowly looked up at Harry. 

His green irises were both soft and apologetic. His pale pink lips pressed together tightly.

I kept my magic cast, hovering over his heart once more to make sure I was right. The feeling was strong, dark, and old. But among all else— it was empty. A space that was as hollow as the shell of a ghost. A void, made from complete nothingness. It was a feeling I've never experienced before and I can't believe I so easily overlooked it.

His curse, it was right here. 

This whole time. Broken by lovenot magic.

Love.

The thought physically made me suck in a sharp breath. My magic retracted from him as I stared at the floor mindlessly. This explains so much. This explains why he lost interest in reminding me to break his curse or why he wasn't upset that I didn't find answers in the cabin. This explains the sudden shift in his behavior, and why he's been so close to me. 

It never made sense as to why he dropped Fallon so quickly just to flirt with me— until now. 

Fake. 

It was all fake. He was trying to get me to love him so he could be free of this place. None of it was real. Not our intimate moments. Not the time we spent together in the tent, or when we lay on the rock at the cabin. Or now.

'Nows not the time.' I remember him saying. It wasn't that it wasn't the right time, it was that he didn't want to sleep with me. He didn't want to sleep with me because I was a toy to him, a pawn in his game— just like the witch spirits told me. I have been so undeniably stupid.

"You used me," I whispered lightly, my eyes beginning to sting. 

Should I even be mad at him for this? I knew I was here to break his curse, I knew he would leave me as soon as I did, I just don't know why it hurt so much. Like a jab straight to my soul.

Maybe it hurt because I believed some of it was real. He fooled me, this whole time.

"No," Harry said quickly. He reached for me but I turned away, not wanting him to see my face. I didn't want him to see me cry over this. I wouldn't give him that. "Nuray, you don't get it."

"What's not to get?" I said harshly, fighting the burn in my throat. "That you were planning on using me to get what you want? Are you truly that cruel? Using my magic is one thing but emotionally manipulating me is far worse."

"I've been trying to tell you!" His jaw tightened slightly, "it not easy when the curse limits what I can say. I've tried to show you, I've tried to help you figure it out."

Harry was heartless. Literally and figuratively. I felt that empty space in his chest. He had nothing there, and I was expected to love him? To love someone as heartless and cruel as him? A prince of the underworld who truly lived up to his title.

"I know how bad it looks. But I wasn't planning on using you. Trust me."

I barked a laugh, "oh really? Trust? Harry at this point I can't trust the breath you breathe." I stood in my place, kicking away the underwear he pulled down earlier. I was embarrassed with myself. 

"None of it was real," I said harshly, turning away from him. 

"It was," this time Harry stood. I kept my back to him, tears pricking my eyes. I felt defeated, lost, and stupid. "Nuray, listen to me. I know how bad this sounds but it's not like that."

I turned, facing him. "It's not like that?" I said, narrowing my eyes at him, "It's exactly like that, Harry. All you've done is lie and manipulate for your own gain. You know what?" I said, blinking as tears fell from my eyes. "You're the most selfish, self-centered person I have ever met. And I—"