Chapter 37 - Moving Forward

*Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise.

*Author's Notes: Happy New Year, everyone! I've returned with the latest chapter of 'Slash's Revenge' and it's one of my favorites. I'll warn you in advance, this one is a bit intense as well as emotional.

I'd like to take a moment to express my immense gratitude to all my loyal friends, followers, and readers. I really can't possibly thank you enough for all your support and kindness. You are truly wonderful and I adore every one of you. Thank you, again and again and again.

I sure hope you enjoy this installment.

CJ

--------------------------

Chapter 37 – Moving Forward

He could've sworn his heart was about to burst right out of his plastron as he sat bolt upright in his bed. Gasping for air yet again, he wildly clawed and pulled on his sheets, but despite his death grip on them, the thin fabric somehow held up. Surprisingly, so did his plastron.

When he realized he was in his own room, the rampant thumping inside his chest slowed to a less lethal pace.

It was the same thing every time he closed his eyes.

Another nightmare.

Another reason to never go to sleep again.

Drawing several shallow breaths into his empty lungs, Donatello released his grasp on his bedsheets and leaned his back against the wall for support.

The last thing he remembered before falling asleep was Mikey consoling him and convincing him he needed to lie down for a while. Even though Donatello had stubbornly claimed he wasn't tired, once his head hit the pillow, he must have passed out from exhaustion, because he didn't recall anything after that. The fact that he hadn't even heard Mikey get up and leave the room told him just how out of it he had been.

Donnie glanced over at the clock on his nightstand to see that only a couple of hours had passed.

Two measly hours!

Still, he supposed it was better than no sleep at all.

Maybe...

He didn't feel the least bit rested, but at the same time, he was now wide awake. It was a vicious cycle.

Sleep. Nightmare. Wake. Repeat.

A small groan of discontent escaped his throat as he sullenly turned his gaze away from his clock.

That was when he caught a glimpse of a lone figure standing in the corner and he was immediately paralyzed with fear. With all the shadows cast over the room, it was too dark to make out who it was. All Donatello could do was tremble as the figure slowly started to move towards him.

The rational part of Donatello's brain kept telling him this was why he hadn't heard his little brother leave the room. Because he had never actually left. But the irrational part of his brain kept telling him to scream for help.

The more he thought about it, the more rational his irrational side sounded.

Scream!

Scream, you idiot! Scream!

Though screaming definitely seemed like a good plan, all the frightened turtle could manage to squeak out was his brother's name. "M – Mikey?"

"Guess again, Donnie boy."