Chapter 44 - When in Doubt

*Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise.

*Author's Notes: I'm back with a brand-new chapter of 'Slash's Revenge' and this one is pretty darn suspenseful. I'm stressed out just talking about it. 😉

Thank you so much to the following readers for reviewing chapter 43: Pilyarquitect, WraithoftheBlaze, Ralip71, LittleMiss Icequeen, Tripoli and numerous guest readers. I loved reading your thoughts on the chapter. You make me so happy.

Can't wait to read what you all think of this one. Please, please, please let me know. It would really be nice to know who's still with me.

Thanks for reading, everyone!

CJ

-----------------------

Chapter 44 – When in Doubt

The lair was so very quiet without his brothers there.

No Mikey being obnoxious.

No Raph being angry.

No Leo being Leo.

On any normal day, Donatello would have welcomed the rare moment of peace, but as it was, the silence was totally unnerving.

Letting out a lengthy sigh just for the sake of making some kind of noise, Donatello sunk further into his chair.

His laboratory felt emptier than usual. Sure, he typically worked by himself when inside his lab, but he wasn't used to actually being alone.

Not like this...

Who would've ever thought the introverted turtle would find himself longing for company?

The genius ninja scooted his task chair a little closer to his desk and leaned over his keyboard. He had hoped that plugging away at his computer for a while might distract him from his worries, but no such luck. He couldn't stop staring at the display of his T-phone held ever so tightly in his shaky hand.

His family had only been gone for fifteen minutes, but it felt like it had been hours.

He wondered if it was too soon or too neurotic to text or call them for an update. Not that they would even have an update at this point. Chances were, they were still on their way to the apartment building.

Just the thought of that apartment made Donatello shudder in his shell...

"Well, I got news for you, Donnie boy. I'm all you got now, because your family's never gonna find you. Not unless they search every abandoned building in the city. This is your home now, so you better get used to it."

He could never get used to that place.

That awful, awful place...

It haunted his nightmares. It even haunted his waking thoughts.

If Raph had gone back there...

Donatello didn't want to think about it.

Didn't want to think about Raphael...

How could the genius turtle be so worried and angry at the same time? It was quite the conundrum.

A part of him was freaking out over his missing brother, while another part of him still couldn't believe what Raphael had said...

"Did Slash... Did he ever say something to you that might make you think that... that there was still good in him?"

"G – Good in him?"