Chapter 42 - Of Two Minds

*Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise.

*Author's Notes: Chapter 42 of 'Slash's Revenge' is finally ready. I'm so sorry about the long wait on this one. After the last chapter, I got pretty much inundated with comments/messages, which is absolutely amazing. Thank you all so much for the feedback on my stories. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to keep up with all of my reviews, comments and messages as of late. I want to take a moment to thank everyone for reading. I'm so incredibly grateful to all of you for reading and for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I truly mean that. Your words really do mean the world to me. I'm sorry for not responding sooner, but things got a little crazy. Just know that I appreciate you with all my heart...

Okay, I'm getting all kinds of emotional here. Let's jump right into the chapter, shall we? Thank you all for reading...

CJ

-----------------------------

Chapter 42 – Of Two Minds

Mikey tiptoed out of his genius brother's room, being extra careful not to make a sound. It had taken a full thirty minutes of convincing Donatello that he needed to get some rest before he agreed to lie down. Another twenty minutes ticked by before he actually closed his eyes. Now that the wounded turtle at long last appeared to be asleep, there was no way in shell Michelangelo was going to wake his brother up by making a sloppy exit.

As soon as the youngest ninja stepped foot into the hallway, he could hear the faint sound of Leo and Master Splinter conversing quietly in the Dojo. Mikey was pretty sure he knew what they were talking about.

Not long after Leonardo had entered the bedroom, he and Master Splinter had gone off to 'discuss something,' leaving Donnie in Mikey's more than capable hands. This was A-okay with the turtle in orange. He much preferred hanging out with his brainy big brother than dealing with more drama.

Mikey had to admit, there were definitely times when it paid to be the immature one that no one trusted with the serious stuff...

Still, he couldn't deny that he was curious about what went down in Raph's room. Judging by the somber expression that had been on Leo's face, things hadn't gone so well between the two oldest brothers.

What else was new?

"How is he doing, Michelangelo?"

The question startled the youngest turtle. Not because of the question itself, but because Mikey hadn't even realized he had made his way into the Dojo. This was living proof that he should never walk and think at the same time. Who knows what kind of trouble he could unwittingly get himself into?

Shaking off his initial shock, Mikey held his head up high to give the illusion that he had totally meant to enter the Dojo. His voice oozed with more confidence than seemed necessary, but not enough to rouse any actual suspicion. "A little better. He's still pretty upset though. I somehow convinced him to lie down and get some rest."

Master Splinter's face showed appreciation, while at the same time, there was unmistakable sadness dwelling in his eyes. This made Mikey all the more curious about what had happened in Raph's room, but he was almost afraid to ask. After all, ignorance was bliss, right?

"Thank you, my son. Your brother could definitely use the rest. It has been a been a trying morning." Master Splinter dipped his head low, revealing that he, too, was in desperate need of rest. His dark, weary eyes gazed down at the rug beneath him, seemingly lost in concentration.

Mikey looked over at his oldest brother only to discover that he appeared to be just as lost.

The moment instantly turned awkward, for it was painfully clear that Michelangelo had once again interrupted something important. Having intruded upon his fair share of important conversations in the past, the youngest turtle knew this uneasy feeling all too well. He shifted his weight from side to side, trying to find a comfortable position as a grimace crept its way across his round face.