nine

~~~Reality~~~

~~~Reality~~~

After finishing her dinner at Nanami's house, Y/N drove back to the High School. She was earlier and there were at least 10 minutes before the meeting started. But she decided to head in anyway. 

She found Mr. Yaga already sitting on the floor by the table. Greetings aside, she took a seat next to him, both of them diving into sets of conversations. Not long after, Ijichi entered the doorway alone, lacking Satoru's presence next to him. 

The manager explained that Satoru had asked to stop along the way, the road unknown and in the middle of nowhere. Unsure of what else could be done, the meeting was delayed as they all waited for Satoru's arrival. After more than 15 minutes, he was still nowhere in sight. 

"Y/N, call him," Mr. Yaga requested, his covered eyes boring into Y/N's (e/c) ones. 

"I tried. He's not answering, sir," Ijichi informed. 

"Y/N, just call him anyway," the former man insisted. 

"Okay," Y/N nodded, standing up to call Satoru out in the hallway. 

Her fingers tapped on his contact number. The ringing of the phone could be heard once Y/N placed it right next to her ear. 

Her thumbnail found place in between her teeth as she bit into her nail, the anticipation causeing her to be nervous. Y/N wasn't even sure if Satoru would answer. Yes, Satoru did always answer her. 

But Ijichi had already called him, receiving no answer from the shaman. So it would make sense if Satoru ignored Y/N's call. As much as she wanted him to answer, she knew he probably wouldn't-

"Oh hey, angel," Satoru's voice answered the call, shocking the woman holding the phone. 

"Satoru, whe-"

"Hey, can I call you back later? 'M a little busy," he mumbled quickly. 

"What? What are you doing? Where are you-"

"I got attacked," he rushed. "So yeah, I'll call you back. Promise." 

Y/N's lips parted, a word ready to escape her mouth but her lack of vocals were caused by Satoru hanging up the phone. Her eyes grew wide with worry, eyebrows almost touching as she frowned deeply. 

Without another thought, much of a contrast to her usual behaviour, she rushed to her car, her slender fingers fishing out the car keys from her uniform pocket. Using the Find My Phone app, Y/N tracked Satoru's phone, her driving fast but still careful as she followed the directions. 

Once she reached where the GPS had brought her to, she stopped the car at the side of the road, eyes witnessing a broken road a little further than where she stood. It looked like a fire had erupted there. 

Walking further to inspect the situation clearly, Y/N came to the realization of Satoru's familiar cursed energy, paired with someone she knew as well; Yuji. However, other than the two, Y/N felt no other energy other than the residuals left at the scene.