chapter 14 - what are you doing here, satoru?

It was your day off. You decided to visit your mom even though she still ignored your messages and calls. Speaking of your mom ignoring you, after that night you saw Dami at Suguru's house, you didn't really text him often now. You didn't want to admit it but there was a bit of jealousy in you. Everytime he texted, it was either you left him on read or replied back with dry texts.

Remembering how your mom loved bubble tea, you stopped by at a milk tea shop to get one for her.

As you were almost there at your mom's house, you saw an expensive-looking car parked in front of your mom's house so you had to park somewhere else instead. You exited your car while holding your mom's drink, and you were quite surprised to see Satoru sitting on the bench at the front yard.

"What are you doing here?" you asked him with an irritated tone.

He looked up, "Our mothers are discussing something inside. You shouldn't interfere."

"Whatever." you mumbled, standing next to the bench while thinking whether you should go inside or not. But, if they were discussing something really important, then you shouldn't really go in.

Satoru then moved himself a bit further so there was more space on the bench, "You'll get tired if you just stand there."

Awkwardly, you sat on the bench next to him but there was a huge gap between the both of you.

"How's life?" he started.

"Nothing much." you replied briefly. Why was he asking you this?

"Sorry." he said out of the blue which you instantly turned your head to face him.

"What?"

"I said I'm sorry." he repeated.

"For what?" you purposely asked him.

He sighed. "For saying that to you. I didn't expect you would walk away just like that. I was a bit harsh, I know."

You stayed silent for a few minutes. "Yes, it was harsh." then, you thought this would be the perfect time to ask him to talk things out. "Hey, we shouldㅡ"

"Satoru!"

The sight of his mother coming out of your mom's house annoyed you so much. She then had a brief eye contact with you before you looked away first.

"Let's go home, Satoru." she said while grabbing her son's arm.

He didn't bother to look at you and just headed straight away towards his car with his mother.

"What are you doing here?" your mom asked.

You handed her the bubble tea. "Here, a gift."

She was confused but still took the drink, "A gift?"

"For ignoring my texts and calls. And, for not telling me you invited that woman over to your house." you said sarcastically. "What did you guys talked about?"

She seemed guilty. "Y/n, I'm so sorry. I was just really embarrassed. I promise you things are different compared to what she told you that day. I just needed some time to cool downㅡ"

"I honestly need to know everything from your side, mom. Please don't hide anything from me again."

She grabbed your hand and caressed it, "I know, I know. I'm so sorry. I promise I will tell you everything."

Both you and your mom sat at the bench, enjoying the evening breeze while she told you what happened earlier. "It was nothing actually. I asked her to come over to talk. I told her I would pay the debt since I found a place to work,"

"You what?"

"Yes, I don't want you to pay it. Let me settle my own debts."

"Originally, you already settled them all but that woman doubled the amount because she was angry about your relationship with her husband. That's it. you said and she nodded. "Tell me, what exactly is your relationship with her husband?" you decided to ask.

"He was depressed. She was using him for money. Yes, I did fall for him but I knew it was wrong. I was the one who stayed away from him first and he understood. But, she found out later about the affair and he took the chance to call for a divorce. Remember that day when she barged into our house looking for Satoru? That was the day when he told her he wanted a divorce. She went crazy and decided to take Satoru and live in Canada."

You were speechless.

"I promise you that there's nothing between us at all. It's been years already. I haven't heard anything from him but I know he's living somewhere in Kansai."

"Okay. Thanks for telling me, mom. I can't say much about it because it's all in the past now." you replied. "Alright, I think I need to go now. I need to buy some groceries." you stood up.

"Thank you for this bubble tea." she smiled at you and pecked your cheek. "I promise I'll treat you once I get my first pay."

You couldn't help but to smile. "You don't have to but if you want to, then I can't say no. Wait, what kind of job is it?"

"An old friend of mine just opened her own kindergarten and is currently searching for someone who could cook for the kids. It sounds fun and good pay as well." she seemed excited, "I want the kids to feel like home whenever they eat what I cook for them."

"That's great." you smiled and gave her a quick hug. "Bye, mom. Oh, do send your selfies to me on your first day of work!" you chuckled.

"Sure!"

You waved your mom goodbye before going inside your car. As you were about to drive, you received texts from Suguru.

Suguru
why are you ignoring my texts :(
did i do anything wrong
please tell me