chapter 28 - don't worry

You were awakened by the sound of birds chirping outside and realized it was already 10AM. All you could remember was Satoru decided to go home after checking the surveillance cameras and would update you if he received any information about the man. Once you got into your room, you immediately dozed off.

You walked towards your wardrobe to find a cute outfit to wear for the date, then showered. Thinking about going on a date with Suguru actually distracted you from the mysterious man. You were excited to see how the date would turn out.

Once you got ready, you waited for Suguru to pick you up. You were wondering what outfit he wore and the thought of that was making you smile. 3 minutes left before 12PM, you received a text from none other than suguru saying that he was already waiting at the lobby. You grabbed your handbag and immediately went out.

You could already see him waiting outside of his car and when he noticed you, he smiled widely. "Hello, pretty." he said and stared at you for a moment. "Let's go?"

"Yeah, let's go." you sheepishly smiled.

Both of you were in his car, and you didn't know why you were feeling a bit nervous. He looked amazing with his hair up in a bun and he smelled like vanilla too.

"Do you have anywhere you would like to go after we eat?" Suguru asked.

"Um, I'm not really sure. Waitㅡ" you just realized that your mom's birthday was around the corner and you wanted to buy her something. "I'm thinking of buying a present for my mom. Her birthday is in 5 days."

"Sure, we can go to the mall." he replied, smiling. "You look pretty in that dress, you know."

You briefly looked at him before shyly looking away. "Thanks."

Once arrived at the burger place, both of you entered the place and sat down. You looked up the menu and everything looked so delicious. "Lobster burger sounds good to me." you said.

"I was thinking the same thing, Y/n." Suguru chuckled, "Should we order two then?"

"I'm okay with that." you smiled at him, "What about drinks? I think I'll go with banana smoothie."

"I'll just have iced peach tea."

After informing the waiter, Suguru and you just stared at each other before you began to giggle. The way he looked at you was giving you butterflies and he definitely knew what he was doing.

"We should do food hunting together." Suguru suggested and you agreed, "I used to do it with my mom when I lived with her."

"Really? That's cute!" you replied. "Seems like you're so close with your mom."

"Yeah, we are. She was very upset when I decided to live in Tokyo. I had to reassure her that if I don't do it, I may not get to explore a lot of things and I also wouldn't have met you."

You looked at him with a sheepish smile, "What? Me?"

"If my mom sees you, I'm sure she likes you as well." he said with a smile.

You didn't know what to say so you just flashed him a smile. Meeting his mom is a bit.. too early, right?

Then, the waiter came with the burgers and drinks. You couldn't wait to eat the lobster burger but Suguru told you to wait as he was trying to take a picture first.

"I'm going to put this on my Instagram. Do you have Instagram?" he asked.

Nobara did insist you to create one last week so you did but you didn't post anything yet. "I have..."

"Let me follow you."

You showed him your username and he immediately followed you, and you did the same to him. You noticed he had a quite number of followers. "You're famous." you said and he just chuckled.

"Let's eat our burgers before it gets cold."

You took a bite of the burger and it was really good. Suguru seemed to enjoy it as well.

"Should I cook for my mom instead of buying her something? Because I honestly don't know what to get for her." you asked for his opinion.

"That sounds good to me. What did you get for her last year?"

"I bought her a bouquet of roses. That's all." you replied, "She never tells me what she wants but she likes everything I give her including cooking for her." you smiled.

"Then, maybe you should cook her favourite meals?" Suguru smiled at you and you responded with a nod.

You had this urge to invite him to your mom's house to help you cook but you had to remind yourself again that you shouldn't rush things. Take it slow.

"Should we get bubble tea? I'm craving for one now." you changed the topic and Suguru was quick to agree and drove to the nearest bubble tea shop. "The yam milk tea one is seriously good. Have you tried it?"

"I've never tried it. Maybe I should try it since you recommended it." he smiled, "What about you?"

"I'm going to try the melon one."

Suguru told the cashier what both of you wanted and when you were about to pay, he was quick to pass the cashier his card. "Too slow." he mouthed to you and giggled.

"I was thinking of treating you to milk tea since you paid for the burgers." you said, slightly pouting.

"No, I won't let you pay. So, everything's on me, okay?" he looked at you and you could feel your cheeks getting hot.

While both of you were talking, you noticed there were 3 familiar girls entering the shop. Your heart was beating fast as soon ad you met eyes with one of the girls, which was Dami. Suguru, seeing how tense you were, decided to turn around to see who you were looking at.

"Oh my god, is that Y/n and Suguru?" Sayaka nudged Haruka's arm. She then pulled Haruka and Dami to your table. "Well, well, look who is here!"

"Hey, girls. What a coincidence." Suguru acted calm, "Hanging out?"

"Yeah, Dami was craving for bubble tea and this place is our usual spot for bubble teas." Haruka said, "Are you guys having fun together?" she teased.

Why is she craving for bubble tea when I'm craving for the same thing? Can't they just go somewhere else?

"Y/n, you told us you won't date Suguru. But, I guess.. You couldn't resist Suguru's charm?" Sayaka teased, giggling like an idiot.

Dami looked at Suguru, "Wow." she said, and then looked at you, "Hope you two have fun."

You didn't reply. You didn't know why but you felt there was something going on the way she looked at Suguru.

"Let's go, girls. We don't want to interrupt the lovebirds." Dami said, pulling Sayaka and Haruka out of the shop.

"Butㅡ Aren't you craving for bubble tea?"

"We can go to other shops."

You watched as their figures disappeared from your sight, and you quietly sipped on your bubble tea.

"They will definitely tell our classmates." Suguru said, "You okay?"

"I'm good." you replied with a smile. "I was just not expecting to see them... especially Damiㅡ"

"Dami?"

After realizing what you just said, you immediately felt embarrassed. You never intended to mention her name.

"N-No, I meanㅡ" you bit your lower lip, "Sorry, I didn't know what I was saying."

"I know what you're thinking. Remember our reunion party? I saw how she stared at you. Don't worry, Y/n. Trust me, everything is okay."