━ jean ; let's turn back

idk what category to put this in; detective au

* this is.. quite long. i got a little carried away with the story and mystery, so the fluffy moments are nearing the end.

warning: mentions of murder, blood, violence. if any of these disturb or trigger you, please refrain from reading this chapter.

Red strings pinned on the board, connecting papers, files and polariods. The sound of pen clicking and breathing was all that can be heard. Your mind ran in circles 50 miles per hour. This was only a new case, but it isn't because of the fact you were afraid to fail. You didn't like the thought of the missing children. Hearing their parents cry in agony on the phone felt... not good. For it was also how you lost your little sister. You heard the slight creak of a door but payed no mind, ignoring it until you felt a hand on your shoulder. You turned around in panic, relief filling you when you made eye contact with your partner, Jean.

"It's.. quarter to three." She said, you shook your head, knowing that she was about to suggest a break - which she frowned upon seeing. "Weren't you the one who said that our brains need a refresh?" She said, sighing. You watched her walk over, grabbing a chair and sitting next to you. You thought about it for a moment, eyes darting from paper to paper and getting lost in thought. Jean was concerned due to your absence of response. You were still lost in thought, a break would be nice.

She was about to speak before you spoke first. "Perhaps a break is alright." She let out an 'ah' and smiled slightly. You both got up and left the room. The others at the sgency would imagine a break such as hours of crolling through their cellphones, or maybe relaxing and letting the stress leave your body. Well, everyone's definition and view of "taking a break" is different. For you and Jean, it seems to be drinking your favourite beverage as you talk about work. It isn't exactly a break, but if it eases your mind and helps take stress off then it does not harm anybody.

You sat down with your cup of tea, as Jean with hers. There weren't anything else, you would have to ask Zhe to restock later on. Jean started the conversation with asking how your research has been so far. You replied to her and asked if she found anything, which she nodded and said she would tell after their little break. Not wanting to talk about such hard case, you both watched the other people at the agency and made up stories of them.

"No way." She whispered, you nodded. "It's been going around for a while." She looked fazed. It had been a few minutes until you talk about Lisa flirting with some new taken in person. "I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case." Jean finally said and you nodded taking another sip of tea. When both your cups were empty, you offered to wash it and insisted, which she gave up trying to tell you otherwise. After that, you went back to your respective room, as did her.

"Well, what did you find?" You asked, closing the door. She pointed at a picture of a child, you knew as Naomi, who had been reported missing just yesterday. You quirked a brow. After explaining her thoughts you nodded. "So perhaps Naomi is related to this case?" She nodded. You thought about it, gears grinding in your head. It clicked in your brain and you ran towards a certain room, just passing by Amber who was carrying files, you quickly apologized and continued looking for your boss' room. Jean followed right behind you. And walked in to see you ask your boss permission.

"For that reason, may I take Klee with me?" You asked. Jean knocked and walked in, bowing to Venti before standing next to you. Venti thought about it, "If Klee isn't already helping another, I don't see why not. Although, Alice will scold me if she comes back with a scratch." He said. You nodded. "She wouldn't be harmed. You have my word." Venti nodded, and granted your request. You and Jean thanked him, bowing before exiting the room to find Klee.