Chapter 34: Paige

I woke up bright and early with my mind free of worries. I stretched out my arms and I turned over to my side to see Ryder fast asleep beside me. You would think that Alphas would be hypersensitive even if they were sleeping. Well, that was not the case for Ryder. He slept like a rock. I smiled as I admired my handsome mate. His face was relaxed and a satisfied smile was on his lips. His chiseled jaw and piercing grey eyes made me feel all gushy inside. Not that I'll inflate his ego by telling him. I shook my head, trying to keep Hope from pouncing on him. I was getting distracted. I had something that I needed to do. I slipped out of his arms and got dressed. Hope whines at the loss of contact with her mate. Come on. Let's get this over with. We need to get back to mate soon. Hope demands, making me smile. She was right. For once, my wolf and I agreed.

I pulled the duvet up and tucked my mate inside. He stirs and turns over. He unconsciously buries his face in my pillow making me smile. I grabbed a pencil and scribbled a note in case Ryder woke up. I placed it on the bedside table. I hoped to return before he woke up and maybe surprise him with some breakfast at home. I knew that he was not a morning person after all.

Dear Ryder,

Good morning. I went to cancel my pack transfer to Giana's territory. Will be back soon.

Love,

Paige

I gently ran my fingers through his tousled hair before planting a soft kiss on his forehead. "Wait for me. I'll be back, I promise." I whispered, walking away from the bed. My mind was made up and there was no turning back. I was ready. I quietly closed the door and walked out of the packhouse. I shifted into my wolf and ran towards the forest. When I arrive, I see Giana and Wesley waiting for me. They wave at me as I get into their sight. I get behind a tree and shift back. I get dressed and run over to my cousin. Giana greets me with a grin. "Hey, cuz. Have you decided?" She asks, calmly. I smiled as I recalled the week I shared with Ryder. The smiles that he reserved just for me. How surprisingly clumsy he was when he had hit his head on the doorway when we were talking. I must have been lost in thought as Wesley waves his hands in front of my face.

"I have decided," I say, making Giana give Wesley a knowing look. In turn, he looks at Giana with adoration clear in his eyes. "I will stay with Ryder. I'm in love with him. I'm sorry for troubling you." I said, my cheeks heating up. She yelps and pounces on me making us topple on the ground. She shakes her head as we get up. "How many times do I have to tell you!! WE ARE FAMILY!!! Your shit is my shit!" She scolds me, making me grin widely. She then turns towards her mate. She laughs and sticks her tongue out at Wesley. "You owe me ten bucks" She declares, Wesley facepalms himself. "You said that and I said, 'I agree, hun'!!!! We bet on the same thing!!!! Why do I have to pay?" Wesley complains, despite pulling out 10 dollars out of his back pocket. He hands it over to Giana who looks smug.

"Classic! It's the oldest trick in the book to get mates to get together. One week challenge! Can't believe you haven't heard of it!" Giana retorts, making me roll my eyes. She engulfs me in a hug and I laugh, feeling happy. "Works every time," Wesley says, placing his hand on my cousin's shoulder. Wesley pulls out the pack transfer cancellation paper and I sign the paper. "I was so worried that wasn't going to work at first." Giana babbles, with a look of relief. Wesley shakes his head as she mumbles to herself.

I hear a yell and we turn to see a disheveled Ashley. "LUNA, THERE YOU ARE!!!!" She bellows, startling all of us. She runs towards me. As she gets closer, it is clear that something was wrong. Really wrong. She is wearing mismatched socks and her shirt is on backward. She takes my hand. "W-we must return. He's gone crazy, thinking you've left." She explains, breathlessly. Giana rolled her eyes. "And men think we're the drama queens!!!" She huffs, giving me a shove. I run behind a tree and shifted. "WE ARE GOING ON DOUBLE DATES, OK?!!!!!" Screams Giana after me, as I leave. I shake my head at my cousin's crazy antics. Ashley follows me as we run back.

I needed to get to my mate. I needed to reassure him. I needed to let him know my feelings and spoil him with my love for being so patient with me. I run into the pack territory. I heard a heartbreaking howl that fills my eyes with tears. Ryder. Poor Ryder. I shift and pull on my clothes. I run into the pack house to see Chase looking just as distressed as Ashley. He looks relieved as I arrive. I dash up the stairs, my heart pounding. I hear a loud slam and I flinch at the sound. I pray that my mate hasn't hurt himself. Chase slowly opens the door and I peer inside to see the room a mess. The walls are full of scratches and the bed is broken. There is a hole in the ceiling. And in the middle of the mess, sits my mate. He is cradling his head in his hands. The sight rips my heart to shreds. I slowly walk up to and stop right in front of him.

He lifts his head from his heads and he looks up at me with his grey eyes completely black.