Chapter 4: Ryder

I drive into school to give Ashley her lunchbox which she had left. It had been a week since the pack barbecue. I couldn't keep my eyes off of my mate. She looked angelic in her white sundress. Her reddish-brown hair and her green eyes. I was haunted by the sight of tears running down her cheeks. My heart snapped in two as I hear her voice. I couldn't follow her. I had rejected her. It was for the best.

Ashley grins as I pass her lunchbox to her. "See you later!" She exclaims as she runs back into the school. There is only a faint scent of my mate. My wolf snarls at me. He was mad at me. He didn't understand why I had to keep her away from me. It was better for both of us. The pack didn't know that Ashley and I were not together. She and I were strictly platonic. When I decided to announce her as Luna, I reminded her that I would not love her in a way a mate would. She knew why and promised that we would lead the pack as close friends.

I tried to ignore the pull of the mate bond but every spare second of the day was spent, thinking about her. Her smile when she played with the children. The way her hair looked when she was running. The way her lips trembled when she lied. My wolf began showing dirty images of us on the forest floor. I shook my head. I make my way back to the packhouse. Chase, my beta runs up to me with a frown.

"WE ARE OUT OF FOOD!" He screams, looking devastated. Louise, his mate slaps his arm affectionately. He pulls Louise close to him and I try not to vomit at their open display of affection. Mates were a blessing but also a curse in disguise. I knew it and I knew that Paige knew it, too. Chase looks at his mate, happily. "Could you get some groceries??" He asks, with a pout. I rolled my eyes at him. "Why can't you do it?" I asked, exasperated by his childish behavior. He glances at Louise then back at me. "Lou and I have plans." He explains, throwing Louise over his shoulder.

He then sprints away and I hear Louise giggling. I sighed. I had forgotten that our pack chef, Matteo was out on his yearly trip with his mate. What was I going to do? I quickly made my way out of the house as I knew that those two could get really loud. I walked down towards the local grocery store. As I started buying ingredients to make spaghetti and I gave up and dumping random things into my cart. They couldn't complain about dinner as they knew I was the worst cook in the packhouse.

Frustrated, I paid for the things and made my way out. I heard a squeak and the sound of a bag ripping. I whipped my head to see my mate looking at the floor where her groceries were scattered. My wolf howled as I took in her flushed cheeks and she tried to hold things in her hands. I helped her pick up the things. Her hair was falling out of her ponytail and framed her heart-shaped face. She was so beautiful. I held her things in one arm and we went out of the store.

"Alpha? I'm sorry. I can take it from her. I live right around the corner." She stammers, her cheeks turning even redder. I laughed. "If it's right around the corner, I can help you. It's no problem." I replied, my wolf was delighted that our mate was near us. I watched as she kept distance between us. She suddenly stopped. "OH! Please tell Matteo that I loved his rabbit stew recipe!" She says, suddenly. She places her hand over her mouth, looking mortified. I couldn't help but chuckle.

Then I remembered that Matteo was gone. I sighed. She turns her head towards me in curiosity. "I also just remembered that Matteo was away. I have to cook." I explained. She nods and then her eyes widen in surprise. "Do you cook?" She asks, quietly. Do I cook? I hold back laughter. I shake my head. "I am the worst cook. Cooking is simply something I don't understand." I replied. She turns her head but I see her smile.

We arrived and she thanks me. My heart sinks as I watch her disappear into her house. I slowly make my way back towards the pack. "Wait!" I hear her voice. She runs to me and looks down at the floor. "Let me make it up to you." She says, looking determined. Make up for what? I must have looked puzzled because she explains, "Since you helped me with your groceries, I can cook for the packhouse. Also, I want to apologize for being rude when you were trying to help me." I nodded. I didn't mind any of it but if it meant that my pack housemates would not die of food poisoning, I agreed. It also did help that I could spend more time with her.

"You wouldn't mind?" I asked she shook her head. She gives me a smile that takes my breath away. "It's fine." She says, warmly. We walk in comfortable silence and we arrive. She makes her way into the kitchen. She opens the groceries and giggles at what I bought. "I bought random things," I confessed, my cheeks heating up. She laughs and I can't help but smile at her. She then examines the ingredients. "I'll see what I can do." She says.

I watched as she moved into the kitchen with ease. I shake my head as an image of her in the kitchen surrounded by my pups appeared in my mind. My wolf whimpered as I pushed it away. But I couldn't keep my eyes off of her. The way she furrowed her eyebrows together when she was concentrating. Unfortunately, time passed quickly.

"Are you sure that I shouldn't walk you home?" I ask again. She shakes her head. She gives me a smile. "My mother is waiting for me. Thank you for helping me, Alpha." She reassures me. She then leaves. Without her presence, the house is cold and empty.

But she cannot be mine.