Six | Beauty

I love her, but goddamn that Ethan gets in my way

I love her, but goddamn that Ethan gets in my way. The mention of that mother-fucker makes me want to throw a plate at him. I mean it's better than killing him.

I look down at my feet as I adjust my grip on the steering wheel. I used to come here all the time as a teenager with my friends at night.

After Noah's death, we've all decided to make Overdrive an annual celebration for him. Other drivers still have racing events that we are invited to. Sometimes you'll see one or two of my friends during stressful times at these races. Especially me. Something about how loud the street full of cars makes me... calm. When I sit in my car, watching the cars or bikes it eases my nerves.

Unfortunately, this serotonin boost has to come to an end once the cops show up. My foot is already on the gas peddle, speeding out of the street as people scream and police sirens go off.

My black Nissan r35 engine vibrates causing electricity to run through my veins. My feet shift every few minutes to the clutch before changing gears just so I am far away from the cops. Through my rear view mirror I notice one of the cops chasing another racer and a small smile tugs at my lips.

When I get back to my apartment I open the door and immediately hear that son of a bitch talking. He's on a call with someone on speaker. "Hey, it's raining cats and dogs and I just got off work. I'm unable to get a cab. Can you please come pick me up? I'm also a tinsy bit drunk." I can recognize that voice from a mile away. The only voice that continuously rambles to me about its day. It is her voice.

I take off my coat and shoes and walk over to Ethan's room. I know this is not any of my business, but it's her for god's sake. I lean against the doorframe with my hands in my pockets and he doesn't notice me. I'm not in his room so that doesn't break my unspoken rule.

He's facing the window as he speaks to her. "I am so sorry Indra, I cannot come get you." He says as he continues to stare into the city.

"Why not?" Her voice trembles with fear as she speaks. "I am actually at work. I got called in earlier and it seems like I am going to be here the whole night. Why don't you get an Uber?" He lies straight through his teeth.

"Okay, goodnight." She sighs as he cuts the call. "You are not at work." I say and he practically jumps when he hears me speak.

"Oh, I was actually just heading there." He scratches the back of his neck. He is nervous. He is lying.

"Ethan you might be aware that I have two little sisters and if I ever found out they were dating a douchebag like you. I would beat the shit out of him." He doesn't even glance at me.

He stares at the floor avoiding all contact with me. "Well it's a good thing I am not dating one of your little sisters." He nervously chuckles. He walks over to the couch - sitting down.

If he were dating one of my little sisters, he would be regarded as a pedophile. One is only sixteen and the other is five.

"Ethan, either tell Indra or I will." My voice raises slightly. "Tell her what?" Is he playing stupid?