Nine | Only Ones Who Know

Ethan pulled his last straw

Ethan pulled his last straw. I forgave Ethan many, many times before. I've been a great girlfriend to him, I've helped him in his times of need, I've done wife duties with my girlfriend title and then he fucking cheats on me with my roommate. How stupid could he possibly be?

This stupid light that has been hitting my eyes for so long now is annoying. I slowly open my eyes to see I'm in a random bedroom.

As I lay on the bed with my shoes off and an unfamiliar coat on. I look down at the floor and see the small fan heater is on. No wonder the room is so toasty.

I quickly get out of bed, grabbing my shoes and struggling to put them on. I scurry out of the room to see I'm in Ethan's apartment.

What the fuck?

"Morning." I hear someone call out and I jump seven feet in the air.

My eyes go wide as I search the kitchen just to see Luke having his coffee. My mind immediately goes back to last night when he had his lips on mine.

I'd never felt so alive when he did. I still remember the taste of him. The feel of his lips. I want more and I know I shouldn't. "Did we-"

"Oh god no." He chuckles, cutting me off. "We just shared a kiss. I slept on the couch." My eyes go back to the couch to see a blanket and pillow.

My lips form a line as my cheeks heat up with embarrassment. I laugh, making my way to the barstool, and Luke smiles at me. "Listen, I just want to be super clear. That kiss meant nothing." I try speaking in my kindest voice. "I think you're cute, but Ethan and I just broke up, and I'm not in place right now where I want to be somebody's girlfriend."

His mouth drops as he looks taken aback before he starts laughing lightly. "Star, I'm not trying to date you." He smiles, giving me the kind eyes.

My face drops as I scratch the back of my neck, feeling even more embarrassed. "I don't like you like that." He smiles, leaning forward as he continues to listen to me.

"Then why did you kiss me?" I question, feeling my entire body heat up. "Kiss you?" He exclaims, pushing himself off the counter. "I didn't kiss you, you kissed me!" He exclaims, looking down at me.

My eyebrow raises as I suck in my top lip and shake my head until he realises. "Oh, maybe I did kiss you." He looks up at the ceiling dumbfounded before he shrugs. "Why did you kiss me?" I question, leaning in closer.

Now it's time for Luke to look nervous and for me to laugh. He drops his head with a sigh before he finally starts explaining. "I kissed you because Ethan was there." My eyebrows raise. "I wasn't thinking straight and I just did it." He gives me an apologetic smile. "I'm going to have to tell him that there's nothing going on between us." I sigh, getting off the barstool as I make my way to the door.

"Hey!" Luke calls and I turn around to face him. "What if you didn't tell him?" My eyebrows raise and I try to smile to hide the fact that I'm completely freaking out inside. "What if we let people think we're actually together?" He speaks and I can see his hands trembling.