Chapter 12

Draco's POV

My hand laid on a book in front of me. The concept of the spell is easy enough. Something we already learned to do in sixth year, but now with an odd twist. "Crinus Muto. The spell to change the color and style of the casters hair. Crinis in Latin means hair, while muto means to change."

"Why do we care about the Latin meanings?" Harry responded from beside me.

"Because having all the details before performing this will be vital."

Harry sighed and set his head on the desk out of sheer boredom. "We've already done it before."

"Not wandless and nonverbal, we haven't," I reminded and closed the book.

He rolled his eyes. "Yeah I know, but who thought that performing transfiguration spells wandless and nonverbal was a smart decision?"

"Obviously powerful wizards who wanted to use that ability in order to win more duels and become stronger," I grunted, pulling out my wand.

Harry snorted. "Or accidentally turn themselves into a pin cushion."

I shook my head, bemused. "You can't do that with this spell," I corrected. "The worst thing that will happen is setting your hair on fire."

"Oh yes, I would like a charred head, please." He clasped his hands together to emphasize his sarcasm.

I rolled my eyes. "Are you going to be this annoying the whole time?" I questioned, getting a little irritated from his comments.

"I'm always this annoying, you just don't spend enough time around me, obviously," he remarked and straightened his back from the slumped over position he was in a moment ago.

"Let's just get started. Professor McGonagall wanted us to at least have some success with the spell by next class." Harry sighed, but nodded. He seemed in a rather odd mood; if it's because he is partnered with me or because of what happened in the hospital wing several days ago, I am unsure. "Okay. I think wandless would be more difficult, so for now, let's try it nonverbal."

I looked at myself through a mirror I had brought along and left standing upright on the table. I swished my wand like we were taught to do and said the spell in my head, keeping my lips sealed.

Nothing happened. I tried again, and still, my hair laid flat and platinum blonde just as usual.

I attempted it a few more times, nothing changing and Harry becoming impatient beside me. His knee started shaking and he tapped his finger on the table, making an annoying sound to reverberate around the empty common room.

"Would you knock it off!" I shouted, losing my ability to concentrate.

Harry stopped his tapping and groaned, setting his head down on the table again. "Sorry," he muttered. 

I looked back at the mirror and tried again, this time I noticed how my hair changed to a dirty blonde instead of it's rich platinum. "I did it!" I shouted out.

Harry's head whipped up and looked at me. He quirked his eyebrow, examining the darker hair. "Wow, it's a different shade of blonde," he taunted.

"What is with you today, Potter? You're more volatile than normal," I inquired.

He huffed, "Nothing, sorry."

I set my wand down on the table and looked more directly at Potter. "No. What's this really about?" 

Harry pursed his lips and looked down at his lap, thinking for a moment.

"Harry?" I called in a gentle tone.