3 | the blind lawyer

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
chapter three
THE BLIND LAWYER
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐chapter threeTHE BLIND LAWYER└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

───── ─────

THE NIGHT AIR CAUSES goosebumps to rise on Lena's arms as she stands, posture hunched and arms hugging herself as she stands with Matthew Murdock outside of the Department of Damage Control's NYC Headquarters. It's still summer, so the temperature is warm even in the absence of the sun, but all she feels is a chill that snakes deep into her bones. She rotates her wrists to get feeling back into them. Her hands have started to feel like they're being stabbed by thousands of tiny pins and needles, but she hasn't fully regained her sense of touch yet.

Mr. Murdock stands with his hands clasped on top of the white cane in front of him. He hasn't spoken much after his first few attempts — all of which had been met with silence by Lena — so the bustling sounds of New York's evening traffic have filled the silence between them. She can't read his expression behind his red-tinted sunglasses that appear black in the darkness.

He inhales through his mouth before saying, "Lena, I just wanted you to know that how they treated you was absolutely inhumane. There aren't many laws protecting people with powers like yours, and I'm sure they're going to use the excuse that your abilities make you above the rules that protect minors, but don't worry. I'm going to do everything in my power to make them pay for it."

Lena finds herself becoming a fraction less stiff at his reassuring words, but she can't bring herself to fully relax. Not when he'd shown up out of thin air to represent her and her friends. Not when she'd just been restrained and interrogated like an animal. She finds it difficult to trust him when she's alone. But even so, she offers him a tiny nod before realizing he can't see her.

"Okay," she says, her voice scratchy and barely audible. She could clear her throat and repeat herself, but something tells her he'd heard her anyway.

"The law requires them to stop asking questions after you request a lawyer," he continues. "They were probably betting that you weren't aware of that. I don't think anything you said can be used against you in court."

It's not like she said anything relating to their charges anyway. All she'd done was put a racist man in his place.

"Your friends should be out here soon," Mr. Murdock says, straightening his spine and shifting on his feet.

Lena has an odd feeling about him. It's like he's aware of every little thing around him, and even if he's blind, the way he tilts and cocks his head at every little noise tells her that he can sense even more than she can. He inclines his ear toward the honk of a taxi, a snippet of conversation between two women who walk past, and swats away a fly buzzing near him with impressive accuracy.