18 | adjustment protocol

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
chapter eighteen
ADJUSTMENT PROTOCOL
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐chapter eighteenADJUSTMENT PROTOCOL└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

───── ─────

LENA FEELS HOLLOW AS they walk the half-destroyed streets of London, no words echoing between the three exhausted superheroes. Their feet crunch over broken glass and shrapnel. The acrid stench of smoke lingers in the air from the drones that had exploded or used flamethrowers, making Lena's eyes water behind her mask.

The area surrounding the bridge is a disaster. Abandoned cars litter the streets, some with busted windows and cracked windshields, while others are half-burned. The storm Elemental — or, really, the projectors behind it — had slammed into the concrete, creating huge gaps in the barrier between the road and the River Thames. All of this destruction... for what? Why would Beck do this? To make himself look good?

Peter slightly limps alongside her. He'd tried to keep his mask off when they'd walked down from the bridge, but Lena and Graham had scolded him to put it back on. Though the streets seem to have been evacuated, there could be some stragglers who could see his exposed face. As a result, she can't see his expression, but he grips her hand securely like she'll fade to nothing if he loosens his hold.

Graham's eyes carefully scan their surroundings for any sign of their friends. They have no idea if Happy had managed to keep them safe or if Beck's drones had found them, after all. Even after all that has transpired, she doesn't allow herself to lose hope for one second. Everyone is okay— they have to be.

"Oh my God," a girl's voice gasps in the distance. The sound echoes across the empty street. "Guys!"

Footsteps pound on the asphalt. A smudge of pink moves at the far end of the street, and within seconds, it sharpens to the figure of Cindy Moon sprinting at top-speed toward them, black hair flying behind her. Lena releases Peter's hand and opens her arms, allowing her friend to barrel into her.

When Cindy makes impact, Lena grunts at the sheer force of the hug and steadies them both. The shorter girl hugs her tightly, nearly crushing her ribs. Lena returns the embrace with fervor.

"I'm so glad you're okay," Lena says. "Is everyone...?"

"Yeah," Cindy confirms, stepping back and wiping the corners of her eyes before tears can fall. "Yeah, we're all fine."

"Cindy?" MJ's voice calls. She, too, emerges from the rubble with some sort of medieval weapon in her hand — it looks like a spiky ball on the end of a stick — and her shoulders slump with relief when she sees them. The weapon clatters to the ground. "Oh, thank God."

Cindy moves on to hug Peter and Graham as well. From her, physical contact is expected, so it doesn't come as a surprise. However, Lena has no idea what to do in regards to MJ. The girl doesn't really seem like one for hugs. She stands awkwardly, part of her curly hair falling out of the low bun at the nape of her neck.