16 | welcome to a new start

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
chapter sixteen
welcome to a new start
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐chapter sixteenwelcome to a new start└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

───── ─────

LENA WAKES FEELING like she has come back from the dead. Her groggy mind takes tedious moments to recognize her surroundings, taking in blurry images slower than usual. It's the deepest slumber she's had in a long time, scrambling her thoughts and making her struggle to collect them before they flit away like pieces of a puzzle she'll never be able to solve again.

There's something strange about what she's seeing. She scrutinizes her room to figure out why. A textbook is open on her desk from an assignment she'd started last night, her pen resting on her notebook, waiting to continue taking notes. Lena sits up in her bed and hears paper crinkling. She'd fallen asleep writing last night, the journal resting open on her lap with a poem titled "Lost Time" facing her. Her favorite yellow Converse are neatly placed in front of her closet.

Then it hits her.

Lena is in her bedroom. In her apartment. That she lives in with her parents.

She hasn't been here in months, and yet here she is, Her waking up in the comfort of her own space like everything is normal.

Her fingers scramble for her phone before she can tell them to move, clawing for her nightstand with frantic movements. The brightness of her screen sears her tired eyes when she powers it on. The date reads one day after they spoke to The Daily Bugle. Theoretically, only a few hours ago, she was racing against time to cure multi-dimensional supervillains and send them back to their respective universes. Yet she doesn't feel as fatigued as she should after such little sleep.

Peter had said that Strange didn't know who would remember the past few months once the spell was cast. What would she do if she's the only one in their trio who recalls the way the world had turned on them? Who remembered the inside jokes they made? What if Peter has forgotten their date on his birthday? When they said they loved each other?

She didn't even get to finish it back before the spell was cast.

A buzz from her phone rips her out of her rapidly spiraling train of thought. There's a new text in her group chat with Graham and Peter.

GRAHAM CRACKER: yo i had the craziest dream

Bells ring in Lena's mind. Could this be a signal? But then again, with Graham's powers, weird dreams are common. She decides to play it safe.

LENA LENA BO BENA: hopefully not a nightmare?

GRAHAM CRACKER: kind of? like, yes but also no.

PETER PARKOUR: Same

PETER PARKOUR: My brain is all jumbled

LENA LENA BO BENA: meet at ristretto in an hour?