5 | birthday blues

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
chapter five
BIRTHDAY BLUES
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐chapter fiveBIRTHDAY BLUES└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

───── ─────

STAYING HOLED UP in Happy's apartment is far from ideal, but surprisingly, the days pass by quicker than Lena had anticipated they would. July 27th looms around the corner before she knows it. That's Graham's birthday, and she's more anxious than usual because she wants to make it his best one yet— which will be next to impossible considering the circumstances.

It's strange to think that Graham will be older than her. She was supposed to turn 18 back in April, but Bruce had done the reverse-snap at the beginning of May, therefore skipping right over her birthday. It also means that Peter will soon be the same age as her once he turns 17 in August. Thanos's snap had altered their lives in more ways than she could have anticipated upon her return, and each month seems to bring a new, unforeseen struggle.

Another reason Lena wants this to be perfect is because Graham and his parents have been apprehensive about him becoming a legal adult. The protective laws that surround minors will no longer apply to him, and in a time like this, when most of the public is against them, they need every bit of cushioning that they can get to soften the blows.

That isn't to say that people haven't tried to help. They've gotten public support from the remaining Avengers — aside from Wanda, who has been MIA — and also random others who don't believe Beck's accusations. The most heartwarming had been from Paul Weber, the man who had taken Lena in when she'd been trapped in Germany after Mysterio's illusion attack. Even his friend Lukas had voiced support for her despite the fact he hadn't been fond of her when they'd met.

"Oh — sorry," Lena says when she accidentally bumps into Mrs. Seager, who is meticulously hanging streamers along the walls of Happy's living room. "Owen, where did you put the... the... oh, crap. Um—" She makes cutting motions with her fingers as she looks around. "Gunting."

"Scissors!" Ma supplies.

Lena sighs, nodding appreciatively. When she's frazzled, sometimes her brain will only recall random words in one language. It's fine when it's around her parents, but confusing for everyone else who doesn't speak Tagalog.

"They're on the coffee table," Owen calls back from the other room.

She glances at the cluttered surface. Several rolls of streamers litter the dark wood, along with bags of confetti and miscellaneous supplies— glue sticks, tape, wrappers, and more things that make Lena go cross-eyed if she tries to pick out each individual item. But there aren't any scissors.

She yells back, "I don't see them!"

"They're up my butt," Max jokes with a cackle.

"Well, can you pull 'em out for a second? We really need them."