3 | across the world

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
chapter three
ACROSS THE WORLD
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐chapter threeACROSS THE WORLD└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

───── ─────

LENA HAS SCARCELY FELT so overwhelmed in her life. Packing everything she'll need for a week and a half-long trip to Europe has been harrowing enough, and now that the morning of her departure has finally come, she has to keep rummaging through her suitcase in fear she's forgotten something. Deodorant? Check. Sunscreen? Check. Extra film for her polaroid camera? Check. She's been fully packed for over two weeks now. So why does she feel so anxious?

"Lena!" Ma's voice hollers from the kitchen, followed by her banging on her closed bedroom door. "You're going to be late. Mrs. Seager is already outside!"

"I know!" Lena calls back in an exasperated tone as she shoves an extra pair of socks into her suitcase. "One more minute, please!"

She reaches under her bed to see if anything had fallen underneath it while she packed. Her fingers skim over a few old notebooks, a rogue pencil, and an empty packet of gum before ghosting over something that makes her blood turn to ice. It makes her pause, hesitating for just a moment too long before she drags the item out.

And in her hands is the file Tony had given her about her parents.

Lena finds herself staring at the cover, then, almost as if her hands are moving on their own accord, she opens it and stares at the newspaper clippings, transcripts, and articles stuffed inside. A wry smile creeps its way up onto her mouth as she reads over the recording from F.R.I.D.A.Y.

"Weapons. You hear that, F.R.I.D.A.Y? Underline that. Weapons. W-E-A-P-O-N-S. I just won the spelling bee."

A chuckle falls from her lips– such predictable Tony humor. But then she glances at the notes he'd scrawled in a black pen about her brother, Keanu, and she feels the air rush out of her like a punch to the gut. His handwriting is so personal, such a close piece of him that soon her stomach is twisting, twisting, twisting, to the point where it's almost painful. She's almost certain that she can still smell the ink wafting from the paper.

"Lena!"

Lena jolts out of her trance, cramming the papers into the folder and shoving it back under her bed frame. She zips her suitcase and yanks it off of her mattress. "Coming!"

The Riveras are in a frenzy. Pa is going with them to the airport, but Ma has to stay behind because there isn't enough room in Mrs. Seager's van for all of them. It seems that Ma is nearly as frantic as Lena even though she's not going on the trip. Her short hair is tied back into a low ponytail at the nape of her neck, most of the dark brown strands falling out and into her face. Her thin eyebrows are pinched together but lose their tension when she sees her daughter walking out of her room.