11 | two-faced

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
chapter eleven
TWO-FACED
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

+note: cozy up and get ready for the longest chapter of the series so far

───── ─────

LENA AND GRAHAM stare at the place where Peter and Strange had vanished into thin air, shocked into silence. Several beats pass while they try to process what they'd just seen. It's almost as if they'd never existed— the street is quiet and empty, the sounds of distant traffic permeating the silence.

Finally, Lena speaks. "What the shit?"

"Where did they go?" Graham asks. "I didn't know Strange could teleport without the portals."

Lena shakes her head, her eyes still locked on the last place Peter had been, her heart constricting. "He can't. It must've been something else. I don't really know him that well, so I don't know much about his powers..."

She takes a mental step back from the situation and recalls everything she knows about the sorcerer. He used to protect the Time Stone, meaning he was used to knowing the future and could be prepared for anything. Now he's still grappling with that control being ripped away from him. Everything they do forces him to react in real-time, and their antics are driving him crazy.

"He's a control freak," she says. "He always wants to be the smartest person in the room."

"Don't say that," Graham says with a shudder. "We know who the last person to say that ended up being."

Right. Mysterio had said the same thing when they'd met.

"The point is, he wants to regain that control, right? So maybe he took Peter somewhere that he's in charge of."

"Like another dimension?"

Lena shrugs. "We have people trapped in the basement who are from other universes. It wouldn't be impossible."

She has to convince herself that everything will be fine. It has to be, or else she'll wind up having a complete mental breakdown. She's felt such a chaotic culmination of emotions within the past forty-eight hours, and if Peter is gone, she might just lose her mind. It'll tip her over the precipice she's been dangling on for far too long and shove her into insanity.

Peter is fine. Peter is smart. He'll get through whatever mess Strange has him in.

"I have zero faith in him," Graham says.

Lena shoots him a glare and runs back into the Sanctum, forgetting about the half-frozen foyer and sliding toward the basement steps with her arms windmilling to keep her upright. Her feet thunder down the steps to the undercroft. When she reaches the bottom, her friends turn to look at her.