11 | mistakes were made

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
chapter eleven
MISTAKES WERE MADE
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐chapter elevenMISTAKES WERE MADE└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

───── ─────

BECK LEAVES A TRAIL of green in his wake. The area where he'd slammed through the beast is made visible by the neon green puncturing its chest, the man inside nowhere to be seen. The Elemental comes screeching to a halt and falters for a moment as if assessing the damage done to itself. Then it collapses onto its knees with an agonized cry, reaching toward the heavens as Beck's powers smother it, transforming every leaping ember to a dazzling emerald-tone. Then it falls forward, disappearing in a blast of green so strong it nearly knocks the three teenagers from their feet. Emerald-toned glitter hangs in the air. It's beautiful, almost picturesque, but the situation is too dire to dwell on the display of power.

Lena gasps as the Ferris wheel creaks dangerously from behind them, but Peter informs her, his voice so quiet and thin she can barely hear him, "Don't worry. I secured it with webs. It should be fine."

"Look." Graham points to the place where Beck's motionless body lies in the middle of a decently-sized crater.

Peter darts forward first. Lena, still in a bit of shock, follows him after yanking the web from her back. Graham is the last to move, his long legs helping him easily catch up to Lena.

"Mr. Beck?" Peter questions fearfully, turning the immobile man over onto his back. Lena's chest is tight with terror until she sees him move, his face beet-red from strain and sweat covering every inch of his skin.

The three teenagers each help him to his feet. Beck heaves a pained groan, a gloved hand pressed to the side of his golden chest plate, and motions toward a bit of rubble. They ease him down onto it carefully. Lena batters out a small flame that had been slowly burning a hole into his maroon cape. They step back to give him some space, moving as one unit, a team.

She looks up at the sound of footsteps. Nick Fury, Maria Hill, and Dmitri emerge from their cars, which they had just parked on the side of the plaza. While Maria and Dmitri hang back, Fury approaches them with an unreadable expression on his scarred face– a trademark for him.

"So it's over?" Maria questions.

"That was the last of them," Beck confirms with a hint of relief in his voice.

"But not the last threat we'll ever face," Fury says. "We need to stay vigilant. There's a void in this world for someone like you. Hill and I are going to Europol headquarters in Berlin tomorrow; you should join us."

Beck pushes himself to his feet and shakes the former director's hand. "Thank you. I might just take you up on that."

Next, Fury turns to where Graham, Lena, and Peter stand off to the side. His expression hardens, becoming less than welcoming, and Lena realizes that the invitation is not going to extend to them. Peter seems to realize it, too. His goggles are lifted up to expose his teary eyes, red-rimmed from shock or something else, she can't tell. His entire body tenses as Fury takes several steps closer until he's directly in front of them. Graham squares his shoulders as if bracing himself for what's to come.