5 | respect all, trust few

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
chapter five
RESPECT ALL,
TRUST FEW
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐chapter fiveRESPECT ALL, TRUST FEW└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

───── ─────

LENA WRINGS HER HANDS together from her spot thrown onto one of the chairs in the hotel's lobby. Her body is still expelling nervous energy, so even though she's slouched down on the cushion with her legs sprawled over the armrest, her fingers are a whirlwind of movement. Water Man's attack on the city had sent more of the canal flooding into the lobby. Now, instead of being just deep enough to cause a splash, the water on the lower part of the floor is ankle-deep. Even looking at it makes a fresh wave of nausea rise in her stomach, so she keeps her attention locked onto the Italian newscast on television.

"It's aliens– it has to be," Ned says from where he sits at the table in front of her, his laptop open and displaying one of the many articles already popping up about a water monster in Venice, Havoc and Specter showing up to help fight him, and, most importantly, the newcomer to the scene.

"BuzzFeed says there was a sailor named Morris Bench who was exposed to an experimental underwater generator and got hydro powers," Flash reports with his eyes locked on his phone. Lena rolls her eyes as he walks past, pacing with one hand shoved into his pocket carelessly.

"Yeah, you should definitely believe everything you read on the internet," MJ drawls sarcastically. She sits on the bottom of the staircase against the wall, leaning forward with her elbows resting on her knees.

Flash scoffs. "Spider-Man could take him. And it's a good thing that Havoc was there, too, but they're better as a team."

Lena shoots her eyes to Graham, who lifts his hands a fraction in a discreet, What about me? motion. Her body fills with dread at the mention of her alter ego out of Flash's mouth. Whatever he has to say about Havoc, it's probably some fake encounter that makes him look better. The only time he'd come into contact with her is when she had forced him out of his car and he'd nearly pissed himself in shock.

The newscast presents someone's camera footage of Cape Guy fighting off Water Man with his green abilities. Lena can't figure out what they are. He switches from those triangle-type projections, which seem to act as shields or lasers, depending on how he uses them, to force fields, and then to smoke when he flies. She isn't sure whether the smoke is what makes him fly, similarly to how her energy does, or if it's just a cool side-effect.

"The green stuff makes him look like he's flying from fart power," Max declares, which makes Graham sigh heavily.

"I mean, it kind of does," Abe agrees with a snort.

Betty approaches Ned from behind and rests her palm on his shoulder, gently rubbing circles as she questions, "Who is that guy?"

"He's like Iron Man and Thor rolled into one," Brad says with a gleeful smile. He's clearly a fan. However, Lena can't agree with him on that point– she thinks he seems more like a knockoff Necklace Wizard, or, as his official name seems to be, Doctor Strange.