8 | item: doubt

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
chapter eight
ITEM: DOUBT
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐chapter eight ITEM: DOUBT└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

───── ─────

BY THE TIME THE bus reaches Prague, the cloud-punctured sky is a dark shade of turquoise and Lena can already feel herself beginning to feel the effects of the time zone change. In New York, it's only mid-afternoon, but the streets of Prague are dim and lit by the bulbs on the exteriors of buildings and lanterns held by civilians wearing traditional clothing. The place already seems as magical as Venice. Coming from a concrete jungle that she sees the less-glamorized version of every day, the Czech Republic with its stone architecture and rich culture is magnificent.

Lena had heeded Mr. Harrington's advice about sneaking some sleep in during their nearly sixteen-hour bus ride and had managed to take a mediocre nap. Peter hadn't been able to do the same. Graham, who has had his earbuds plugged into his ears ever since the mishap with the drone, had been in nearly the exact same position as he'd been when she'd fallen asleep. She can't say she's surprised that he hadn't slept either.

Now, feeling more groggy than well-rested, she blinks away the remnants of sleep that keep making the lights go soft and stares out the window. The bus rolls to a stop in front of a grand hotel that makes Lena do a double-take. She blinks again and rubs at her tired eyes to make sure she isn't hallucinating from jet lag. But no— it's real.

Tourists in expensive-looking suits hustle in and out of the gold-trimmed main door, carrying briefcases as if they're headed to some important meetings. Doormen stand at each entrance to allow people in and out. Everyone she sees looks more like Flash's crowd than anyone else's.

"Okay, kids!" Mr. Dell calls with a clap of his hands as Dmitri opens the doors. "Let's head inside so we can get situated and talk about tonight's activities."

"We're doing stuff?" Lena groans quietly. "I don't wanna do stuff. I wanna sleep more."

"That's how I feel every day," Graham says, standing up and shouldering his backpack. "You kind of get used to it after a while."

Peter frowns. "That's not healthy."

"I never said it was," Graham replies nonchalantly, extremely perky in comparison to everyone else. He exits the bus without another word.

Lena sighs and grabs her own bag. Since she and Peter at the front of the bus, they have to leave before anyone else can. She waits for him to hastily snatch his backpack from the floor and sling it over his shoulder. Its wild movements mean that it's extremely light. A heaviness settles in Lena's heart when she remembers that Peter doesn't have much to carry around anyways.

When they pass Dmitri, the older man reaches out with blinding speed and grabs their sleeves. The two teenagers whirl around in perplexed synchronization. Once he has their attention, he releases his grip on them and makes an I'm watching you gesture, dark eyes glittering with a dangerous promise. Lena gives him an awkward grin before scampering out of the bus as quickly as possible.