13 | it's what we do

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
chapter thirteen
it's what we do
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐chapter thirteenit's what we do└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

───── ─────

"WELCOME LENA, PETER, and Graham," FRIDAY'S voice greets after their full-body scans are completed. The blue light that had run over each of them blinks red once it registers the other people in the room. "Unauthorized individuals detected."

"Override," Lena commands.

"Security overridden."

The doors unlock with a loud click. Graham heaves it open for the rest of them, ushering everyone inside the lab.

Since Peter has refused to release her this entire time, holding her upright and helping her walk, she has to direct him toward the series of light switches on the wall. She flips them on and watches as the room becomes illuminated with bright fluorescents that make her sensitive eyes squint for a few seconds while they adjust.

"Whoa," Abe says as he takes in the sight of the intricate machines placed around the main room. "Cool."

"Max, Owen, come here," Lena instructs them.

The twins share a wary glance before hesitantly walking toward her. As soon as they're within reach, Lena seizes them each by their collars and demands through gritted teeth, her eyes ablaze with warning, "Don't. Touch. Anything."

Both boys nod with widened stares. She levels them with a threatening look before releasing them and putting her arm back around Peter's shoulders for balance.

"First aid supplies," Cindy notes, catching sight of the small area designated for emergency supplies. She grabs MJ's elbow and tugs her toward it. "Come on, let's patch them up."

"Espresso machine," Graham mumbles wistfully. He gravitates toward it like the coffee bar exerts a magnetic pull on him.

"This is your lab?" Older Peter questions. His eyes flicker around, assessing each contraption and trailing over the miscellaneous notes Lena had scrawled onto a glass panel in dry-erase marker last month. It creates a concoction of inked nonsense, her handwriting messy due to how fast she'd been writing in order to keep up with her brain. Some of her equations blend into her copy of notes that Shuri had texted her, written in a different color to differentiate them from her own work. It looks like the work of a maniac.

"Yeah." Lena shrugs her lab coat on with Peter's help, Tony's warning to always wear it ringing in her ears. "It was left to me by someone who meant a lot to me— a lot to us."

The Peter dressed in the dark Spider-Man suit locks his gaze on the larger lab coat hanging on the wall and the initials T.S. embroidered on its front pocket. Now that she can see him in proper lighting, Lena realizes that he's younger than she originally thought— somewhere between the ages of the other two versions of himself. His brunet hair isn't curly like her Peter's or neatly trimmed like the oldest one's. Rather, it sticks up like he's been electrocuted, which somehow fits with his tall and weedy stature.