9 | intruder alert

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
chapter nine
INTRUDER ALERT
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐chapter nineINTRUDER ALERT└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

───── ─────

"LET ME OUT OF here!" Octopus Man shouts as he bangs his fist on the invisible barrier caging him inside his cylindrical prison. Blue pixels spread from where his hand strikes, causing Lena's heart to leap into her throat for a moment. That visual serves as a reminder of how Mysterio had revealed his illusions using the same fashion. Blue pixels are not a pleasant memory for her.

She tears her attention from the man and focuses on Stephen Strange. He has a cut marring his left cheek, causing blood to leak down his face in half-dried rivers of crimson. His usually impeccable black and gray hair is in disarray with tendrils falling over his forehead. Uneven pants escape from his lips like he's struggling to catch his breath, his chest heaving up and down.

"Can you please explain to us what is going on?" Peter pleads. Now that he's calmed down from the fright that Strange had given him, Lena releases her firm grip on his arms, but keeps the tips of her fingers on the crook of his elbow.

"That little spell that you botched where you wanted everyone to forget that you are your superhero alter egos, it started pulling in everyone who knows you are those heroes — from every universe into this one."

Graham's brows furrow. "What do you mean by 'from every universe'?"

"Who are you?" Octopus Man demands, seeming to accept the fact that he can't escape his prison by pounding his fists on the barrier. "Where am I?"

"I think it's better if we don't engage with him, because, frankly, the multiverse is a concept about which we know frighteningly little," Strange tells them as if the mechanical-armed man hadn't spoken.

"The multiverse is real?" Peter questions, a bit of awe in his voice.

"For real this time?" Lena cuts in. "Because last time we were told that, it was a lie, and it was very disappointing."

Quentin Beck's story about being from another Earth had all been part of his plan to swoop in and become the greatest hero ever known. Maybe, without realizing it, he'd actually been onto something with that whole alternate universe spiel.

And, just by looking at Strange, Lena can tell he's not kidding. This is a man who would be the world's worst practical jokester. He probably only watches the weather channel and says his favorite color is beige. But now, he's frazzled, his appearance is disheveled, and his brain seems to be working in overdrive as he fights to put the pieces of their predicament together.

The man heaves a long-suffering sigh. "This shouldn't even be possible."

"But I thought you stopped the spell," Peter says.