Chapter 4

The wind rushed through the trees, tearing away a few leaves and whirling through Crimson's white mane. She searched the area around her for any sign of the missing foal.

Crimson followed his tracks deeper into the forest. By this point, there was no way to keep a limp out of her step. She needed to find Jack fast before she would not be any use to anybody.

Crimson lifted her muzzle and let out an echoing neigh. She pointed her ears forward. A soft whinny was herd as an encouraging reply.

Heading straight west, Crimson Song moved forward. She pushed her leg. She had to reach young Jack before anything else happened!

The shadow of a large horse emerged as the wind howled through the pass. Crimson slowed and willed her limp to vanish. She flicked her ears forward in an attempt to identify the obviously large horse.

"Jack, come here," Crimson ordered into the silent forest.

The wind picked up and set into a steady pace. There was a storm brewing nearby. Crimson wondered if it was not directly over top of her and followed wherever she went.

The large horse stepped forward. His coat was impossible to make out, but little white Jack was moulded to his side.

Crimson flattened her ears and pawed the soft earth beneath her. "You let him go or else!"

The stallion levelled his head. "A trained eye can tell that you are injured. I doubt you could do too much damage. It looks like a pulled tendon. How did you manage that?"

Crimson flipped her silky mane to the right side and lifted her head as high as it would go. "Give the foal to me!"

The stallion hardly seemed intimidated. He and Jack stepped forward a few paces. The colt did not seem to be distressed. In fact, he was almost falling asleep. Crimson could hardly believe his lack of concern.

"I can see that you lead a large herd. Even the mightiest stallions don't take on that many mares."

Crimson Song studied the horse carefully. He took a few more steps forward and she could tell immediately that he was the blue roan who had made an appearance earlier.

"What do you want with my herd?" Crimson asked. She eyed the stallion carefully and made sure that she displayed her strongest stance.

The stallion let out a laugh. Crimson listened to him with jaw agape. She was angry at first, but then she heard the tone. It was a gentle, pleasurable laugh which contained no mockery.

"I don't want anything with your herd, I promise."

Crimson Song gave him a skeptical flick of her ears. "If you mean that, then why do you have one of my foals?"

The stallion's eyed widened. He leaned down to the little colt half asleep beside him. "Is this crazy mare your mother?"

Jack spit out a laugh. It definitely held mockery. "No, but she does take care of me when Mommy isn't there."

The stallion smirked. "Go to her, then, alright, and try not to run off anymore."

Jack peered up at the blue roan. "Come with us!"

He shook his head, sending his black mane spilling over his left eye. "Your herd is not meant for me."

Jack set his ears partway back and loosened his bottom lip. He lowered his head and dragged one of his hooves through the dirt. "What if I get lost again?"

The blue roan lowered his head and nuzzled the little white foal. "I'll be watching!"

Crimson shook her head and her jaw fell harder. She had never seen such a display in her entire life. Her blood began to boil.

"You stay away from my herd!" she said with a firm swish of her tail.

At first the stallion flicked his ears back as if he was disappointed, but then he backed up a step. A gentle smile flashed across his eyes as he wheeled on his haunches and thundered away. Crimson's eyes were riveted on him until he was swallowed by the windy forest.

Crimson Song rushed over to Jack and slung her head over his tiny body. There was no doubt that the young one required food. She pulled him around and they headed back towards the herd. Even in his exhausted state, he did an excellent job at keeping up with the injured mare. They both laid eyes on the herd as they exited the pass.

Jack's mother cuddled her colt with deep emotion. She looked up with glossy eyes. "Thank you, Crimson Song. You have been far too good to us these past few years!"

A few of the others nodded and gave nickers of agreement. Crimson peeked up at her two companions. Nagissa and Night Lily had returned from decimating their enemy and were now smiling at Crimson Song with proud looks.

"Are we going to Folick Mountain now?" Jack asked as he nudged up against the palomino mare.

Crimson Song took an uncomfortable step away from the white colt. "Yes, let's head out!"

The horses rallied together and began their trek once more. All of them hoped that no more danger would befall them. Crimson wished the hardest. There was no way she would have the strength to defend her herd now.

The base of the mountain was soon upon them. Crimson winced heavily as she spied all of the rocks and steep paths they would have to cross in order to reach their territory.

Night Lily swept around the herd to walk next to Crimson Song at the rear. Her eyes were full of compassion. "Maybe we should spend the night here."

Crimson wanted desperately to nod her head, but it simply was not safe for any of them.

"Nagissa is going to sweep the area, but I think we should stay! The foals are exhausted! Jack seems especially fatigued." Night Lily added.

The palomino let out a sigh and finally nodded. She glanced at the other horses. All of the foals had already collapsed at their mother's sides. She had herself to worry about as well. Pulling her tendon any more would be the end of her.

"Lily, make sure everyone has what they need. There should be a stream a few lengths away." Crimson lowered her head. She was surprised by her weakened voice.

The black mare gave a swish of her tail in response and turned to ensure the comfort of the herd. Crimson found a sturdy pine and rested next to it. She locked her joints and slept standing up as she had many times before.

As she dreamt, a bold stallion entered her thoughts. His blue hide swept closer, and he took off with a handful of her mares. Crimson stood in her dream, hardly surprised, but saddened at the same time.