Chapter 9

Crimson allowed the stallion to guide her through the craziest storm she had ever seen. They weaved their way around rocks, both of them sure footed and strong. It was not long before they approached the mouth of a cave.

Both horses stepped through the opening and shook off their coats. Crimson Song did her best to stop shaking and put the strength back in her body, but it was more difficult than she thought.

"Thank goodness you're alright," Night Lily said as she raced through the cave to reach them.

Crimson cleared her throat and threw her mane onto the right side of her neck. "I'm fine now, thank you," she said as she pushed away from the blue roan.

Night Lily blew through her nostrils. "You were sleeping deeper than I have ever seen you sleep in your life! We decided to let you rest, but by the time we went to get you, the storm hit."

Crimson reached out her neck and slung it over her friend's shoulder. She closed her eyes and let out a deep sigh.

"You're shaking!" Night Lily said.

Crimson flashed a glare at the stallion behind her. "I was worried about you guys! I don't care what it takes. Wake me up next time!"

Streaking Wind laughed behind her again. Crimson swung her head around and glared at him. If he had not helped her out, she might have bit him, but that would prove how foolish she really was.

"Where is everyone else?" Crimson Song asked. "Surely not everyone fits in this cave."

Wind stepped forward with a gentle snort. "Follow me," he said.

The mares went after the blue roan stallion. They made their way down the black tunnel. Crimson could not see a thing, but she navigated with expertise by using all of her other senses.

There was a flash of lightning ahead of them. Crimson nearly had a heart attack. Why was there lightning in the cave?

"Here we are," Streaking Wind said.

A gust of wind burst through Crimson's mane. She was a little confused until she picked up on the scents of the horses in her herd.

Crimson Song took shelter behind the towering stallion. She could hardly believe how her instincts betrayed her. She should never trust him like that, but as they went into the hidden valley, she realized that she could not pry herself away from his side.

"I've lived up here my whole life and I never knew there was a hidden valley!" Crimson's eyes grew large with excitement.

Streaking Wind lowered his head. Crimson turned her gaze back on him. There was sadness radiating from his body.

"Are you alright?" Crimson asked.

Another flash of lightning lit up the sky above them. The silhouettes of the herd were revealed. Crimson did not dare shift her eyes. She had them pinned on the enemy by her side.

"Are you actually worrying about me?" Wind asked.

She didn't even have to reply. Crimson Song raised her head and flipped her mane over the right side of her neck in defiance. With a stomp of her hoof, she turned away.

Darkness reigned except for the few occasions where lightning would draw jagged pictures against the midnight sky. Despite the howling wind and relentless rain, the hidden valley was warm and calm. It was an anomaly Crimson had never encountered before.

Nagissa came up beside her. "We thought we lost you forever."

Crimson Song swung her head around. The despair in her friend's voice nearly tore her in half. "I couldn't leave you guys in the hooves of a stallion!" Her gaze was drawn to Streaking Wind.

Nagissa let out a chuckle. Her warm brown eyes lit up with a streak of lightning. The black storm once again hid each other's body language.

"You must be exhausted after running for your life." Nagissa leaned in close.

Crimson Song let out a little moan. "I shouldn't have dropped my guard like that. I almost lost you all."

The grey mare lowered her head. Her shoulder put warmth into the palomino's body. "Get some sleep. I'll worry about our hero."

Shaking her mane, Crimson stuck out her bottom lip. Her muzzle opened to reveal a yawn. She did not want to admit it, even to herself, that she felt safe in the hidden valley with a stallion keeping watch.

The storm passed overnight. Bright sunshine flooded through the opening above them like a waterfall. The rays slammed into Crimson Song, waking her.

Hopeful eyes peered into hers. The dark mysterious pupils quickly backed away. Crimson reached out and nuzzled the little filly.

"Were you waiting for me to get up?" Crimson asked.

The small buckskin filly nodded her head shyly. "None of the others want to play with me. They are too busy with Wind, but I want to play with you!"

Crimson Song laughed softly. The young ones always brought her joy and it encouraged her to protect them more.

The filly melted against the palomino's side and let out a sigh. Crimson caught sight of a scar running down the side of her neck. Her brutal father had inflicted that on her shortly after birth. The cold reality woke Crimson up completely.

"Are you ready to run?" Crimson asked as she picked up her front legs.

The little horse nodded and bucked with pleasure. She took off through the sun filled, water soaked valley. Crimson Song needed only a moment to chase after her with her ears pricked forward. Laughter permeated the air.

The mare and foal frolicked through the tall grass. Crimson chased Sunset until the little filly finally became tired.

"Are you ready for a nap now, Sunset?" Crimson asked.

The little foal allowed a pleasurable snort to pass through her nostrils. "My momma will get mad if I stay any longer."

Crimson Song watched carefully as the little filly meandered back to her mother. Crimson was pleased that they could all relax. This place was better than the plateau she had nearly died for. Now she was thankful that the storm had hit.

Her eyes subconsciously fell on Streaking Wind. She flattened her ears as she saw him play-fighting with many of the colts. Little white Jack was in the middle even though some of the others were twice his size. Yet no one got hurt. Wind was doing an excellent job at keeping them under control.

Snorting, Crimson turned her head. There was no reason for her to continue watching. She scanned the beautiful scene around her, checking for danger out of habit.

Streaking Wind looked up at her. The foals by his side drifted back to their mothers. Crimson was startled by his grieving eyes. There was a true longing that she did not expect to find in his large brown pools of mystery.

"He has to be hiding something," Crimson Song mumbled under her breath. She swung her mane onto the right side of her neck. No matter what, she was going to uncover his secret motives and protect her herd from every stallion, including Streaking Wind.