Chapter 12

His name was Rushing Wind. Crimson should have seen it earlier. She had had a feeling all along that he was familiar. Her old name for him still rang clear in her mind as she shouted it before his death.

Nagissa and Night Lily were unaware that she and Wind had a past togetherbut they were giving Crimson plenty of space, which Crimson guessed was because she glared at everyone who approached her.

Crimson Song's mind was rolling in only one direction. Her mother died saving an orphan foal three years ago. She could still picture the scene.

Raindance snorted and stomped a hoof. "Rush, don't fool around at the river's edge! You'll go off and be swept down the waterfall!

The little blue colt shook his mane. Crimson went up to him and slammed a hoof in his chest. He flattened his ears back at her in response.

"Don't be a dummy," Crimson said.

Rush eyed the little filly carefully. "You're such a mama's girl!"

"At least I can obey my mother!" Crimson retorted.

After losing interest in the conversation, the colt once again ignored the rules and ventured to the edge of the river. The embankment suddenly gave way under his hooves and Rush began to tumble in.

"Rush!" Crimson's shrill voice echoed over the gushing water.

Raindance dove forward, ignoring the cries of the other mares. She and Rush were swept out of their sight before anyone could utter a word.

The cold reality of losing her mother had nearly killed Crimson Song. Even now, the memories still haunted her.

Wind stepped towards her now after giving her an hour to stew over their past. Crimson gave him a nasty glare, but he seemed the least bit intimidated. His lack of fear angered Crimson all the more.

"What do you want?" she snapped.

He leaned in. Their shoulders brushed against each other. "I thought you would be pleased that your mother did not die for nothing."

The palomino gave him a warning look. "It took you three years to come out of hiding!"

"That's because your father kicked me out and nearly killed me after I finally found you. I had no chance to tell you what happened. I left and got as strong as possible so that I could come back and find you."

Crimson marvelled at his even tone. Nothing seemed to rattle him, and it made her more than envious. She allowed a tiny smile. Perhaps he was stronger than her.

"Now what are you going to do?" Crimson asked. "You can't stay here with our herd forever."

Wind nodded with understanding. "I have had eyes for only one mare anyways." His gaze locked on her.

Crimson Song could not help it. She lashed out with a heavy kick that sent the stallion reeling back. His eyes lit with fire.

"I don't want you!" She shouted it with her ears back, but her heart leapt with the possibility.

Wind bowed his head and backed up a step. "You don't have to kill me!"

Crimson snorted loudly. She eyed him up and down. Her voice softened. "You aren't afraid of anything, are you?"

"I'm afraid you'll hate me for the rest of our lives."

The palomino sighed deeply. "I don't hate you, though it is hard for me to trust you."

The other horses in the valley captured their attention. Many of the mares were grazing happily. The foals frolicked at their sides. Despite the happy display, there was a blanket of uncertainty draped over them all.

"I can find your mares worthy stallions," Wind said casually.

Crimson raised her eyes. That would be wonderful if it were true, but she had no idea if she could trust the stallion before her. She had never been able to trust any before. Rush had been reckless, but always kind. She wondered if the foal from her past had grown into a respectable horse, if that were even possible.

"There are plenty of gentle, kindhearted horses up north. What do you say, Song?"

"I'll have to discuss it with Night Lily and Nagissa and then ask the rest of the herd." She kept her tone trimmed and to the point. There was no reason to get his hopes up.

"What about you?" he asked. "Are you looking for a stallion who will love and cherish you?"

Crimson raised her eyes to his. They swelled with admiration. She quickly shook her head. "If my mares desire to go, they are free to follow you, but I cannot abandon the job I set out to do."

Rushing Wind snorted and flattened his ears. His attention soon turned to the entrance of their hidden valley. Crimson also trained her ears in that direction. She could also sense it. The storm was upon them.

"Gather everyone against the North cliff," Wind ordered.

Crimson shot him a warning glance before whirling around to follow his orders.

Crimson sighed deeply. Severe storms were one of the reasons that horses stayed away from the mountain in the spring time. She reprimanded herself for putting her mares in such danger.

"Everyone gather against this cliff!" Crimson shouted.

Her head stretched up to smell the air. It was almost upon them. The sky held billowing black clouds. A raindrop splashed on her muzzle and then dripped into her mouth. Crimson closed her eyes as the sudden downpour began.

All of the mares and foals huddled together against the North wall as Wind had said. Crimson gazed upon them lovingly. There was no way she would allow anything to happen to them.

The blue roan stallion pranced around the outer edges of the hidden valley. His attentive ears swivelled, and then all of his attention turned to Crimson.

The palomino sucked in a breath and could not let it out. His large frame was rippling with muscle, and his eyes were as brown as the bark of a healthy cedar. And now they were trapped with her own stare.

The palomino slammed a hoof into the dirt and snorted. She flattened her ears and turned her attention to the horses behind her.

"Crimson, why do we have to hide here?" one of the little horses asked.

Nagissa leaned in. "Being out in the open would be dangerous. Lightning can strike at any time, but Crim knows how to take care of you," she said with a gentle flap of her lips.

Jack weaselled his way to the front. He made an attempt to sneak through, but Crimson wheeled around to stop him.

"Everyone has to stay here," Crimson said.

Jack set his ears back. "Streaking Wind isn't hiding here."

Crimson's blood boiled at the use of the blue roan's alias. He had not told her who he was in the first place. It was not only that that made her angry. He had also offered to take the mares and help them find good homes with good stallions.

Crimson had no idea if the others would choose to follow him, but if they did, she would be left alone. That possibility nearly caused her legs to give out.