••••《 2 - Strike First 》

Brooke Lawrence Episode Two - This takes place in season 1, episode 2

Characters in scenes (in order of appearance): Miguel, Johnny, Brooke, Kyler (and the other bullies), Eli, Demetri, Daniel

▪︎

☆ Scene One - First training at the dojo with Miguel and Johnny: ☆

"So do I get the cool karate pajamas too, or...?" Miguel asks.

"Quiet!" My dad screams. I jump at the sound of it. "You will only speak when spoken to! Do you understand!?"

"Yes, Sensei!" I shout.

"Um, yes sir?" Miguel mumbles at the same time as me. "Or Sensei! Yeah, Sensei." I try to keep a straight face and not laugh at Miguel, but it's hard. My dad walks between the two of us.

"Are you both willing to work as hard as possible?" My dad asks.

"Yes, Sensei!" Miguel and I say at the same time. I have a bit more determination in my voice, but that's besides the point.

"Are you ready to learn the first rule of Cobra Kai?" My dad asks, walking in closer to Miguel. Miguel raises an eyebrow and makes a confused face.

"Yes, Sensei?" Miguel mutters. In the blink of an eye, my dad grabs Miguel and flips him over harshly onto the ground.

"Dad!" I exclaim, but he ignores me.

"Rule one, strike first. Never wait for the enemy to attack!" My dad shouts. He begins going on a tangent about mercy being for the weak and how we must always be ready to strike. Miguel suddenly pulls out an inhaler. He takes a few pumps from it as my dad continues, "An enemy deserves no mercy. What is the problem, Mr. Diaz?"

"It's no problem, you just knocked the wind out of me and I have asthma, so-" My dad cuts him off and grabs the inhaler throwing it at the wall.

"Oh my God, dad. That costs money." I mumble.

"Quiet!" My dad looks over at me and shouts. He turns back towards Miguel. "We do not allow weakness in this dojo! So you can leave your asthma and peanut allergies and all that other stupid made-up bullshit outside. Understood?"

"Yes, but, uh-" Miguel begins, but I stop him fairly quickly by lightly nudging his arm.

"Don't even try to fight it." I sigh. "Just accept it." Miguel hangs his head in shame and disappointment.

"Yes, Sensei." Miguel mutters. My dad continues ignoring us completely.

"Cobra Kai isn't just karate, it's a way of life! Striking first is the initial step towards victory!" My dad continues, but before he can say anything too sexist he'll regret later I stop him, so instead, he leaves us to do 50 push-ups on our knuckles. Let me tell you, I've never seen a kid do push-up's as terribly as Miguel did.

▪︎

☆ Scene Two - Days later, the start of school: ☆

"Dad! Time to wake up!" I yell, hitting the door loudly. I hear him grumble loudly. "Hurry! I'm making breakfast and then I need you to take me to school!" He grumbles louder.

"I'll be out in a minute!" He exclaims. Rolling my eyes, I head back to the kitchen and flip over the eggs and sausage. The toast pops out of the toaster and I grab the butter and strawberry jelly, lathering the toast in it. I turn off the stove and begin dividing the eggs and sausage. I suddenly hear my dad's door open. "Something smells good!"

"Yeah, I made it, so you already know it tastes good!" I shout as my dad appears from the corner. He sits down and I set a plate and silverware in front of him, as well as a glass of orange juice. I sit down across from him and begin digging in. Each bite better than the last. Our conversation is small, mainly about the dojo and karate.