Chapter 17 Wrong about you

STYLES' POV

I groan at the sight of Michael's name and number on my caller ID. I detest him. Even though he's my father's right-hand man, he's a callous mutt who has no regard for anyone else, other than himself, and those he can profit from. "Michael. What can I do for you?"

"I was wondering how y'all are going with the Perry bullshit?"

"You've lost me."

"I spoke with Maria on Friday. She gave me the rundown on Perry Enterprises. She said all the details are missing?"

I run the comb through my damp hair. "That's right."

"Well, I've been doing some digging of my own. Guess what I found?"

Who gives a fuck? I keep combing. "I'm not in a guessing mood."

"You'll be happy to know that I've located the file for Perry Enterprises?"

"How is that possible?" I ask.

He chuckles. "Because no one knows the new system like I do. First thing Monday, I'll start sorting this mess out?"

"Good. Call when you have it in order."

I won't press him... for now. The most important thing is we have what we need. And now it's time I put all this shit aside and take Erin for a walk to the local beach.

*

As my butt sinks into the sand, I draw in the salty air, watching as Erin twirl her toes in the shallow water. "How's the water?"

She kicks her foot through the surf and water sprays all over me. Through one squint eye, I take in my damp clothes and scold myself for sitting so damn close to the water's edge. Erin presses her hand to her mouth and giggles. "Sorry. I didn't mean to wet you that much."

"Sure you didn't."

She bends and starts rolling up the hem of her wet jeans. "How come you're not always like this?"

"Like what?" I ask.

She smiles, her dimples popping, making her too beautiful for words. "Relaxed, friendly, laughing. When we first met... well, I'm not saying this to offend you, but you were mean and uptight. Or was that because of me?" she asks, pulling her blowing ponytail from her face.

"No. That wasn't your fault. You showed up when I was a having a meltdown with work. I guess I aimed it at you because of what happened with my car and you being late. "

"Yeah, well, I'm sorry for everything else — especially for Ryan. If I didn't want him to know about us working together... well... I'd tell him how wrong he is about you. I'd tell him how thoughtful and generous you are, have been to me."

"Thanks. But what your brother thinks of me is irrelevant. And why do you care if he knows you're working for me?"

She lifts her arms above her head, knots her fingers together, and stretches high; the hem of her top lifts to expose the flesh of her flat stomach and pierced belly button as she yawns. "Because I'll never hear the end of it if he finds out. Since our father died, he's kinda been like a second parent."

I wave the buzzing fly from my ear. " That explains why he treats you like a child. Why he has so much input in your life. Why he acts more like your personal guard than a brother — should I keep going?"

Her cheeks flush. "He's not that bad. Dare say he would be if he knew I was with you."

Yep, if he were to show up right now and find us together, there'd be a brawl. "Why's that?"