Chapter 42 No more lies

ERIN'S POV

I turn around, not even sure of what I'm expecting from Styles, from myself. But as soon as I spot the blood seeping from his split lip and the red bruise across his cheekbone, I know Dmitri had got at least two hits in. Unless his friends jumped him. Oh no! Without thinking, I reach out to touch Styles' cheek, but he seizes my hand in his, and then whirls around, pulling me in behind him as he walks away. "I need to get out back and get dressed."

He ignores me. "Where are you taking me?"

"Out of this fucking place!"

I shuffle to keep his pace as he storms through the club, towards the exit. When I spot two bouncers blocking the doors, I sign in relief. Ok, any second now they'll stop him, any second? Styles doesn't waver from his path, though. "Get the fuck out of my way!" he yells at them.

The two bouncers share an uncertain look between themselves before opening the doors and stepping aside to let us pass through. Styles pulls me into the semi-dark hall that leads to the main entrance. "Stop!" I try to break free from his restricting grip, but can't. "You're hurting me!"

He stops, spinning around so fast that I jump back in fright and hit the wall. "What going on with you and Michael?" he yells.

"Nothing, there's nothing going on between us."

"Bullshit!" His nostrils flare and his fiery breath hits my face. "I want the truth! What happened between you and that arsehole? Tell me!"

I nod and gulp. "Ok... the reason I haven't told you is that I couldn't reveal one part without revealing another. And I didn't want you to find out... which is why I've stayed silent about everything. I was frightened it would change things between us. I thought I would lose you if you found out. Yes, I danced for him. Only, I didn't realize he expected sex. I swear it!" The words are rushing from my mouth and I'm not even sure if they are making sense. "When I refused him, he attacked me? But thankfully big Moe was there to stop him."

He pulls a distorted face. "And you sat across from him at dinner, and then again, you saw him at my house, and still, you said nothing!"

"What could I do?"

His eye balls almost pop from the sockets. "You could have told me! Because I would not have let him get away with this as you have!"

"What! No! I didn't... didn't want you or anyone else to find out what I did. And I still don't want anyone finding out. I'm ashamed of it. And I want you to understand that I took this job and danced for him before you and I were ever together. It's not like I set out to lie and hurt you. I was desperate, starving, and unsure of how to support myself!" By this point, I can tell I am getting through to him. I reach up and touch his cheek, and his blue eyes close, and he swallows hard, making his Adam's apple pop out as he nudges his cheek against my hand. "Please don't let this ruin what we have, please?"

His eyes hold mine. "Why... why did you do it?"

""Because," I snivel and wipe my wet cheeks. "He offered me two thousand dollars, and I thought it would help me with... "I stop short.

"With what? Tell me?"

I'm not sure what he's expecting my reason to be, but it's clear he's not expecting the irony of this situation to relate to him or his car. "I did it to help pay for the damages to your car."

He looks confused. "My car!"

"Yes. Remember you told me if I didn't work with you, I'd be getting a bill for the damages, which you expected me to pay within 7 days. The money is still sitting in my draw, untouched. I planned on giving it to you as soon as you sent me the bill, only you didn't."