Chapter 10: Finally Crossing Paths

'How're you liking the neighbourhood so far? Stepping on any other dogs paws lately?'

Stacey closed her eyes for a few moments before turning to see Gary, with his goddamn sorry excuse of a dog.

'I find it great... Until I met you'.

His cheeky smile was gone in seconds, 'I wouldn't push it missy-'.

'My name is Stacey, not Missy'.

She hated being called anything but her name, but she'd only let her friends say whatever.
Gary rolled his eyes, 'you're whatever you are to me'.

'I figured'.

Gary laughed, 'you won't last long in this place when I'm around that's for sure', and this time it was Stacey who laughed, she couldn't help but say it, 'no one freaking likes you Gary, it's more like you won't last long here with me around'.
It was true, anything she heard about Gary was far from positive, and she was happy to use it against him.
He seemed was quiet for a few moments before swearing at her and rushing off. Stacey finished her tea and got up to head off.

'Stacey?'

She turned to see John standing a few meters from her, oh fucking hell! She turned around and walked away down the pathway, completley ignoring him. She ignored him as he called out to her, he was following her sure enough, and she knew that he wasn't going to leave her alone.

Head into the damn park.

She quickly crossed the street, one car narrowly miss her, she'd honestly get hit by it than to be dealing with him.
She managed to reached the cold grass and increased her speed. There were a few more dogs roaming around.

'Stacey! Will you stop!'

Again she ignored him and walked into a pack of dogs, and she nearly lost her footing, but she managed to right herself before walking a head.
In the end, it seemed that John had chosen to run after her, and when she looked over her shoulder she panicked when she saw him rushing towards her. Stacey was so focused on looking behind herself that she failed to notice a massive german shepard hauling it's way to her, a ball in it's sight.
Just as John reached her and grabbed by the arm, the dog rammed into Stacey's leg, tripping her over and pulling John down with her.

'Holy shit! I'm so sorry!'

Stacey heard a young man yell and she gave him a thumbs up to signal that everything was okay.
John had recovered quickly, getting up onto his feet and offered his hand to Stacey who was hesitant.

'Come on'.

John said gently and she grabbed his hand tightly, allowing him to lift all of her weight off the ground.

'What do you want?'

Let's cut to the chase asshole.

John sighed and looked away for a few moments before looking down at her. She had taken note how tall he was.

'Look... I want to say thank you for looking after me and... Also to say sorry for my behaviour right after, you helped me and I was rather rude to you'.

Stacey raised her eyebrows at him, oh damn... He's apologizing as if it was that easy!? She would apologise and she'd be so fucking afraid.

'Uh... You're welcome?'

She wasn't so sure about how to react, but she so desperatly wanted to know what happened to him, but she had a feeling he wouldn't share it to her... At least not now.
She realised that he was talking to her, 'I'm sorry, you may have to repeat that, I kind of zoned out'.
She noticed John smirk, 'I said would you like to go out to dinner? To make up for what happened that night?'

Oh holy shit!

'Uh'.

Stacey was quite taken aback to hear such a question and how forward he was as well.

'You don't have to, but I just thought I'd ask'.

He added but she shook her head, 'it's alright, I can have dinner with you... I don't really know any of these-'.

'I understand, I know a place you might like, do you have dietry requirments?'

'No... I eat everything'.

He gave her a small nod before turning to head back, 'are you going for a walk or where you just running away from me?'
The thought of all that had Stacey laughing, 'uh... I mean yeah?'

'You did a pretty good job, shame that dog got in the way'.

She followed him to the edge of the park, 'what was Gary bugging you about this time?' John asked and Stacey rolled her eyes, 'he was saying that I wouldn't last long in this place'.
John chuckled, 'I think you're doing just fine'.

'How about you? I mean... You look fine, but-'.

Stacey didn't say anything else, because she didn't want to overstep any boundries. 
John sighed, 'yeah, I've been better, like I said, thank you for helping me'.

'You're welcome'.